Hack mac just as good as a real mac=true?

starobrno1

16 posts in this topic

Edit:

Decided to go wild in the system/library/entensions and started started to delete kexts I thought I did´nt need and kexts with any connection to firewire. All of a sudden it appeared to work like it should. I restarted the computer then it said no FW drivers installed hehe lucky me I had them all in the bin so I put them back one by one till it worked again. After a some brain gymnastics I found out it probably was just the isight and ipod kext causing the problem. I´m posting a link under here that talks about FW and various problems. Now I´ve only get the sound dropouts when I play a DVD and it´s not so bad any longer. Probably a setup fix still to do, take down the graphics apperture and the pci latency timer to the lowest value.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041221081432908

I´ve been trying to get my gear to work with no luck so far, it plays back pretty ok except for the sound dropping out no matter how many or how few tracks I play back. When it comes to recording well it´s just useless.

I have a P4 3.0 Ghz

Asus p4p800se

Pny Gforce 6200 256 mg

3 gig memory

Sandberg pci firewire

Seagate 7200 rpm 160 gig ide drive

Saffire Pro 10i/o

and Phonic firefly 302 (not using)

Been trying both kaly 10.4.10 and 10.5.1

The Saffire and Phonic

Logic Pro 7 and Pro 8

Doesn´t matter the same crappy result.

How hard can you guys push your gear? Can you record simultaniously 8 tracks audio while lets say 24 are playing back + effects on lets say 8 busses + compressors, effects and EQs on every track + a couple of audioinstrument tracks with effects EQs also running, total of let say 40 tracks Limiter and/or other mastering stuff whatever you´d need on your master.

That´s the minimum performance I´d want out of my maschine if I was to uppgrade to quad core and new mobo and the rest of the stuff I´d need.

I build a Mac Pro based on a primestable O/C system (Intel E4400 @3.5 , Gigabyte P35-GS4). It renders Cinebench 10 with 7050 marks!

For comparison: First Generation Mac pro Quad: 9900, the fastest actual Octacore: 19800.

I added just finest quality parts, Silverstone EF PS, Scythe Mugen 12cm Cooler, 2 noiseless 7600 Cards and It costs approx 750 EUR incl. Original Mac Leo 10.5 License.

Not a single crash or freeze yet. Everything was working out of the Box, Audio digital / SPDIF out too.

But to get this I spent much time, if you earn good rates per day in your job its better to do the business and buy an original mac pro.

Thanks for the input Carlos228.

Yes I`m beginning to realize a hackmac can work ok. I had a friend over for a little jamsession and even my old crappy Pentium P4 actually works pretty ok. Whatever it was I did in the extensions folder last night :) fixed it so YES I´ll go for a quadcore based system as soon as I have the money. I bought the Saffire Pro 10 I/o a couple of days ago so it´s going to take a while before I do. In the meantime I´ll record using my Mac mini and my P4 hackmac. But sure it would be nice to have a real Mac Pro and hopefully in a couple of years I will.

How many channels can you record and playback simultaniously?

I'm running kalyway's leopard on my Gigabyte P35-DS3 Q6600 8600GTS for a few days now. My M-Audio Audiophile 2496 doesn't work, but luckily I had a USB soundcard lying around, it works like a charm with logic 8. Bought a new apple keyboard and am running some old windows software in Vmware's Fusion.

I'm one happy little man :)

Thanks Qbical I´ve been thinking about the same mobo myself hear good things about it. My old crappy rig works ok to I´m just having some small probs left with the sound dropping out when I play a dvd, rarely happens in Logic though after my fix whatever I did. So USB works OK good to know cause I´m pretty sure it´s a problem with the FW thing in my rig probably cause some cconflict in the PCI buss I can´t fix. Been thinking about the Belkin PCI FW card but I´ve allready bought two different cards so maby I´ll do that when I build my new rig.

I spent al ot of time for setup a good quad6600 working but sometimes i have sync problems, and i still have probs with some usb drivers with my synth VIRUS TI, i back to PC for make music, this game stop to excite me, i lost too much time, i pref buy a real mac.

Too much, too much thinks to check up, uu must stay always up to date to updates and little improovs...

nah... i must make music not experiments.

END OF GAMES FOR ME!

Thanks for the input macita. Hmm some say hackmacs works ok for music some say they don´t hmm I´m beginning to wonder if the ones say they do actually makes music on their machines. I mean like record realtime audio on say 8 tracks simultaniously while playing back at least the same amount of tracks and a couple of softsynts running to (these are the absolute minimum a recording rig must be able to handle in full sync etc.). Seems to be hard getting any answers how many tracks a hackmac can handle in a recording situation. I mean you do know it´s one hell of a difference between recording multiple live audio tracks, taking a project to a final mix with lots of audiotracks and softsyntstracks plugins etc. etc. and moving data, surfin the internet, wordprocessing, watching a movie etc. etc. ?

well, try, if u have no sync probs, mebbe is my video card coz when i move the mouse i get some desyncs...

TRY but not spend all your time.

I also have some probs left that I can´t fix it seems it´s something with the pci bus latency timer. I think there´s a war going on in there betwen the videocard and my pci fw card, thought it was cause my mobo and cpu was to old for this osx86 thing. (I´ve been thinking maby the Natit kext sets up the videocard to use a setting regarding pci latency timer that doesnt match so good with the rest of the stuff.) But maby it´s the same for you so newer gear or not maby does´nt matter and that´s why I started this thread I mean to find out if it´s good enough for music making.

i was about to create a post about hackintosh for audio production too...

right now im using Logic 8.1 under 10.4.11 , and i have a few crashes or audio midi sync problems..

im about to buy a cheap M-Audio USB soundcard , will this fix the problem or its something related to hackintosh?

my pc is: (old i know)

P4 3200mhz HT

motherboard asrock (chipset INTEL)

2GB ram twinmos dualchannel

sata hardrive 160GB seagate barracuda

graphic card Nvidia 7600GT AGP ( full activated and recognized as AGP, Nvinject + agpart kexts loaded )

at the moment im using the onboard soundcard becouse my pci card is not compatible

my question is:

the USB soundcard will solve the issues or im going to waste my money? i produce loop based music (techno)

EDIT: i have a problem too coled "multithread error" or something like that , whats the cause of this?

My Setup is working perfectly. Its been my main OS since the kalyway release. And I dont see the need for a real mac at this time. I will buy a Mac soon though, but this is as good as my mates real iMac. My setup is actually faster and smoother than his iMac :unsure:

Made some great tracks :(

My Setup is working perfectly. Its been my main OS since the kalyway release. And I dont see the need for a real mac at this time. I will buy a Mac soon though, but this is as good as my mates real iMac. My setup is actually faster and smoother than his iMac :)

Made some great tracks :)

what sound card are you using? that onboard on your sign?

@loukaniko - could you give me a tip or link how to get sleep working ?

I also have a GA-P35-DS4 (E4400@3,6), installed from kalyway 5.1 with GUID and Vanilla Kernel.

When I do sleep it shuts down, but it´s just normal restart after this. I also tried the "deep sleep" uility which can set the Mac into a hibernate mode like windows, but this also doesn´t work.

Additional: when I shut down It often works, but sometimes everything shuts down but the CPU fan continues running. strange.

i was about to create a post about hackintosh for audio production too...

right now im using Logic 8.1 under 10.4.11 , and i have a few crashes or audio midi sync problems..

im about to buy a cheap M-Audio USB soundcard , will this fix the problem or its something related to hackintosh?

my pc is: (old i know)

P4 3200mhz HT

motherboard asrock (chipset INTEL)

2GB ram twinmos dualchannel

sata hardrive 160GB seagate barracuda

graphic card Nvidia 7600GT AGP ( full activated and recognized as AGP, Nvinject + agpart kexts loaded )

at the moment im using the onboard soundcard becouse my pci card is not compatible

my question is:

the USB soundcard will solve the issues or im going to waste my money? i produce loop based music (techno)

EDIT: i have a problem too coled "multithread error" or something like that , whats the cause of this?

I don´t know much about USB soundcards but I was thinking they might work better on these older gear that you and I have since the usb ports are already on there. What I have is FW cards connected via Pci to FW cards and they sound just super good (probably the same with USB cards) but I get these dropouts in the sound form time to time. What I have noticed though is that if I do an offline bounce of my mix in Logic 8 it works ok and probably the same goes for USB soundcards. That means you still can make good music even though it´s irritating with all the fuzz while mixing since the offline bounce will come out good anyway. And since you´re working with loops probably your needs to be able to record does´nt have 1 priority so in your case I´d give it a shot. Good luck