Weird Logic Studio issue

johnnytluxury

9 posts in this topic

Just got my Kalyway install to work, alls great so now to install programs. Logic 8 Studio up first but weird error nessage: Logic states I cannot install with less than 64 megs VRAM (video RAM), tells me I have 0 megs. Hmmm, a quick check in Profiler clearly says 64megs VRAM. Specs for my mobo says the same. Intel not playing nice with Kaly? So I go for Final Cut 2. Same message upon install. Cant go no further. BIOS has option for memory allotment, did that as well. Anyone else got this?

I had the same problem with kaly 10.4.10 could only run Logic Pro 7 for some reason I don´t know. In kaly Leo 10.5.1 I can run Pro 8 (studio) though, really strange. It sees my card ok with the right amount of Vram and grahpics apperture settings in my setup I can play around with anyway I want. In 10.4.10 I had to set it to minimum.

But never the less there are to big issues with my gear (I don´t know maby for all hackmacs?) so it´s totally useless for serious musikmaking. The best it can do is being runned as a Logic Node but that´s pretty ok.

The stranges thing is that in playback I`ve been able to run some 80 tracks but I get dropouts in the sound and that is nomatter if I run one track or a whole bunch. In record mode it starts messing up allready when I

recordarm the track and when I start record well it´s useless.

Probably has something to do with videocard and latency in the PCI buss but I do´nt know.

My gear:

Asus p4p800se

PNY Gforce 6200 256 meg

3gig ram

P4 Pentium 3Ghz

Soundcards:

Saffire Pro 10i/o

Phonic Firefly 302

M Audio Delta 1010

Softw:

Lotgic Platinum 5.5.1

Logic Pro 7

Logic studio 8

Medeli electronic drumset

Guitars and bas

a bunch of condencer mics

Mac Mini core 2 dual.

look to my sig and you can see my setup.

i'v never had the probs you talk about.

@ johnnytluxury, you wrote "Intel GMA x3100(base resolution, no QI/CE so far)" in your sig, i think this is your prob, because your grafics are not fully working.

i installed ToH 10.5 and updated with vanilla 10.5.1, but changed kernel, because the ToH 9.1.0 kernel is working better with my quadcore.

look to my sig and you can see my setup.

i'v never had the probs you talk about.

@ johnnytluxury, you wrote "Intel GMA x3100(base resolution, no QI/CE so far)" in your sig, i think this is your prob, because your grafics are not fully working.

i installed ToH 10.5 and updated with vanilla 10.5.1, but changed kernel, because the ToH 9.1.0 kernel is working better with my quadcore.

Yeah man, I wrote that possibility in another thread (didnt know what kinda issue this could be so i posted multiple topics in diff threads here.). Another kid here gave me a lil insight, I'm gonna try it tonight.

• 1 month later...

did you solve your problem ? johnnytluxury ?

i`m having the same problems , unable to install logic :( when trying to install logic i get this error message:

Logic installer recommends that your system have a quartz extreme capable video card ;) whats going on ?

but i must say the makers of KALYWAY did a very good job , i have sound coming from my onboard motherboard mic not working but hey seems good so far .

just this damn "quartz extreme capable video card " thingy bugging the hell out of me .

any clues ?

Hey I read what I said a couple of months back and I have to correct it. The problems were´nt as big as I thought back then, the big problem I had then was the sound dropping out for short periods/milliseconds and it showed I had to get a Pci FW card with Texas instrument chipset and then I was good to go. The video issues had already went away with the new videocard I bought and when the sound was OK to well things changed and I decided to trust this osx86 stuff and started to built a hack pro. So if Logic says your Vram is not big enough I found out it simply has to do with your video card not being able to cut it when it comes to running Logic. Probably a fix here if you look around but I´d take a serious thinking over to get another video card if I where you. Check out what cards people say work and go for one that seems to work with your mobo, does´nt have to be an expensive card.

I´ve tried a PNY Gforce 6200 256 mb AGP card, pretty cheap ordinary card, worked out of the box and with a very simple tweak it can even run dual screen on my old P4 3Ghz hack (check out how to in my thread about this). The latest card in my new hackpro is a Gigabyte Pcie Geforce 7300gs, also a pretty cheap card worked out of the box to. Have´nt tried it with dual screen yet cause I finnished the build late last night.

My hackpro is based on the GA P35-DSR3 mobo, Q6600 uadcore CPU and the video card I mentioned above, got two cheap 2Gig memory total 4Gig in it. And I even just put in the old IDE hardrive with Kaly Leo already installed from my old P4 hack, fired it up and it worked ok right away. Pretty amazing no installing or nothing just put the drive in there and it started.

Logic runs like a dream on it got really good performance from this build when I runned a CPU benchmark test. This is a pretty heavy test lots of heavy load on the CPU and I scored 23 tracks. A real Mac G5 about the same specs scores 12-16 tracks same with the Imacs, a real MacPro 8 core cpu round 50 tracks. The old P4 3 Ghz hack scored 6 tracks in this heavy test but it can easily round 20 - 40 ordinary wav tracks depending on how many heavy effects you add to them. So there is hope and probably you´ll just have to check if you can test some other videocards to get Logic up running.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
I think you only have to use nvinject or natit for having QE&CI activated!

oh yeah thanks i did get it working , just forgot to reply a few weeks ago , to this section of the forum , cheers

and yes updating it with the "nvinject" solves the video quarzt extreme problem .