Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

Hugo91

9 posts in this topic

I have an Thinkpad R61 and just got the graphics to work on it (happy!), so now im moving forward to the ethernet bit. From what i've read there shouldnt be much trouble with the integrated ethernet cards there, but i cant seem to get mine working...

It's an Intel PRO/1000 card and when i connect the cable to it, nothing happens. I'm really noobish and i dont know much about Mac so i would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

On my T40p it works right away (kalyway 10.5.1).

Didn't have to do anything at all (except plug in the cable..)

Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) [8086:101e] (rev 03)

Subsystem: IBM PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection [1014:0549]

(this info is a lspci -vv from Linux)

Nope

I use Static DHCP on my Linksys router, each computer in my network is identified by the router

by it's MAC-address and assigned an IP-address 192.168.0.x.

In OS X, System Preferences >> Network I am "Using DHCP".

Can you see any Ethernet in your Network (System Prefs) ?

If I open a Teminal and type 'kextstat', I get the following (for my NIC)

36 1 0x21650000 0x16000 0x15000 com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.6.0) <7 6 5 4 2>

and

48 0 0x21b8a000 0x1a000 0x19000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8254XEthernet (1.1.4a5) <36 17 6 5 4 2>

And a 'sudo dmesg' gives the following:

AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:0d:60:xx:xx:xx

Do you get anything similiar ?

Also check the System Profiler for info, Network>Locations and Software>Extensions (AppleIntel8254XEthernet in my case)

Probably the necessary drivers aren't loaded, you need to find out exactly the type of card you have (PCI ID, Vendor ID etc.)

Thanks for your help mattiL, when I type kextstat in terminal i get the followin:

71 1 0x2118d000 0x16000 0x15000 com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.6.0) <7 6 5 4 2>

But I cant find com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8254XEthernet, maybe I've deleted it by mistake?

I had the same problem with the brazilmac install. I fixed it by moving the Tiger IOnetworkingFamily.kext pluggins to the Leopard IOnetworking kext. PM me if you would like a copy.

Recently, I have used the kalyway install dvd and the problem was fixed.

Good luck.

Try this command in Terminal

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

If you are lucky it will load the driver you need.

Otherwise:

The folder /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ contains several drivers, perhaps you need one of the others ?

Try and Learn !

(Like me)