Help with a triple-boot setup

SilverZero

4 posts in this topic

Hi all! I've been reading every guide I could find on this, and nothing has really answered my question. I'm hoping somebody can just get me pointed in the right direction before I start here.

I've got a whole new setup waiting for installs. I'm going to install Windows (probably XP), Linux, and 10.5.1 Kalyway. My hardware should all work. I have 2 SATA hard drives to install to, and I want to use Grub as my bootloader. My question is, what's the best way to partition before I move ahead, and in what order should I install?

Thanks!

I suggest 3 hard drives and install windows, osx86, then Linux on each hard drive. After linux, then set up grub to chainload win and osx86.

I use 3 drives and did win, Lin, then OsX and it was "interesting" gettying the he numbering right.

I am guessing though that you are going to use a single drive and multiple partitions.

I'm probably going to be running a similar setup here in the coming weeks, if I had to suggest a way without attempting it, this has always worked for my with XP and Ubuntu/Fedora.

4 Partitions (using livelinux CD and GPARTED)

1 for OSx86

1 for Windows

1 For *nix of your choice

1 for swap space

Install in this order, Windows, OSx86, Linux, that should write the GRUB boot loader last and give you selection between the 3 OS.

Again, I have never tried this with OSx86, but it my brain it makes sense!

Install in this order, Windows, OSx86, Linux, that should write the GRUB boot loader last and give you selection between the 3 OS.

If your insalling on a partitioned Hard Drive. I would not install Windows first (if your install it on the same Hard Drive as Leopard). It might just be with Vista, but it sometimes doesn't like the Leopard install. Just to be safe; Leopard first.

I suggest 3 hard drives and install windows, osx86, then Linux on each hard drive. After linux, then set up grub to chainload win and osx86.

I agree with Jolly. Separate Hard Drives for each install is the way to go.