Leopard Server experience

onizuka

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys

There is no actual patched Leopard Server image right now, so the only way to install it seems to be overwriting an existing Leopard install. To do that, I've used the retail Leopard Server image and iAktos 10.5.1 with EFI.

Here is what I've done :

1. installed iAktos 10.5.1 (unfortunately, EFI emulation won't work on my Dell PowerEdge, although I'm not sure I've installed it right)

2. opened the Leopard Server DVD image with Pacifist

3. selected all packages and install them

4. rebooted. "About this Mac" now says it's OS X Server, and there is a new Folder called "server" in Applications, containing the server management applications.

However, it seems that these management applications don't actually think the machine is a server. They ask for the address of a server to manage, and neither "localhost", "127.0.0.1" nor the actual network address of the machine will work. It will just alert there is no server at the given address.

Besides, Leopard Server documentation says there should be a Server Assistant showing up after the OS installation. With my installation method, I didn't get any assistant, and I think this is the reason why the machine is not actually recognized as a server...

I'm sure someone else has tried to install OS X Server before, but I haven't found any relevant info on the forum...

Any ideas?

As EFI emulation doesn't work with my iAtkos Leopard image, I assumed the original Vanilla kernal wouldn't work neither. I'm not very sure I understand these things though, I'm gonna try that tonight.

• 1 month later...

I installed Leopard Server on a macbook and the server features worked fine. I then used superduper to backup the drive and restored on a hackintosh box. I had to add the EFI as well to get it to boot. When it boots up it says Leopard server but the server preferences are greyed out; same as your problem. I beleive the problem is with the network card on the hackintosh not compatible with the server. safari does work. I even updated from 10.5.0 to 10.5.2 on the hackintosh server with the instruction on how to do that and that worked.

My next step was to use the BrazilMac patch to patch the Sever dmg but I'm getting errors patching it so haven't been able to try installing the server that way.

Hey :(

Did you try to go through the server assistant again? There is a key in some plist to make Leopard think it's started for the first time, I fount it somewhere on the forum...

This enabled services for me, and even permitted remote admin, so I had basically all the features of Leopard Server.

However, my network card seemed to cause compatbility problems so I finally gave up and reinstalled ubuntu. I hope you'll be luckier with yours!

• 1 month later...
Hey guys

There is no actual patched Leopard Server image right now, so the only way to install it seems to be overwriting an existing Leopard install. To do that, I've used the retail Leopard Server image and iAktos 10.5.1 with EFI.

Here is what I've done :

1. installed iAktos 10.5.1 (unfortunately, EFI emulation won't work on my Dell PowerEdge, although I'm not sure I've installed it right)

2. opened the Leopard Server DVD image with Pacifist

3. selected all packages and install them

4. rebooted. "About this Mac" now says it's OS X Server, and there is a new Folder called "server" in Applications, containing the server management applications.

However, it seems that these management applications don't actually think the machine is a server. They ask for the address of a server to manage, and neither "localhost", "127.0.0.1" nor the actual network address of the machine will work. It will just alert there is no server at the given address.

Besides, Leopard Server documentation says there should be a Server Assistant showing up after the OS installation. With my installation method, I didn't get any assistant, and I think this is the reason why the machine is not actually recognized as a server...

I'm sure someone else has tried to install OS X Server before, but I haven't found any relevant info on the forum...

Any ideas?

I did the same procedure with kalyway 10.5.2 and I had the same problem. Then I realized that i didn't need pacifist and that i could launch the install directly with the official launcher.

This one is different than the one from Mac OS X DVD, it doesn't ask to reboot to install, it just installs the server packages and at the end asks you to reboot.

At reboot the assistant detect your installation as a server one and ask you many informations and your serial number.

I still have a problem though, related to versions because Kalyway is 10.5.2 and the retail os X Server is 10.5.0 so Software Update is asking me to update to 10.5.2. The server works with some issues but I still don't know if it's related to the version problem.

Hey!

What do you mean the server works, does Server Admin recognize the machine as a server, and allows you to configure services??

That would be so cool

Yes server admin works, I even tried the open directory to connect with roaming profiles with two differents osx86.

But I have a lot of errors and the server admin is crashing on regular bases.

I am currently looking for an AMD guide for manual 10.5.2 update. I downloaded the official 10.5.2 server update from apple.com and I'll try it if I can find one (for now all guides I've found are for intel)

Ah nice

So I guess my problem is not hardware related but rather due to the installation method...

Good luck finding an AMD patch for 10.5.2, most installation methods depend on Vanilla stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

So I've reinstalled everything and I still have the same issues :

I can install the regular Kalyway 10.5.2 and then upgrade to the Server version using the official Leopard 10.5 Server installer.

Then my PC is detected as a server and I can use the server admin; but I have a lot of crashes and errors and my system is now detected as 10.5.0.

When I tried to install the 10.5.2 server update I have the same problem as onizuka (everything is shown as Mac OS X Server -login sceen, pref panes-, but my server cannot be detected by the server apps).

I've read that Leopard Server upgrade works better when launched from the 10.5.1 rather than 10.5.2 or even 10.5.0 but I haven't tried that for now.

Did anyone made a step on this ?

• 5 months later...