Installing Leopard from retail DVD

Eric.C

6 posts in this topic

does anyone know if its possible?

A lot depends on your hardware configuration - which you didn't specify. The closer it is to a real Mac the easier it will be.

If your system is Intel with SSE3 that helps. Intel core2Duo is better. Then the graphics card can make life easy or hard depending on which one you have. The network card and sound can have the same type of impact. I understand SATA hard drives require special attention.

The sticky threads at the beginning of this forum address hardware compatibility - check them out.

You can save yourself some grief if you have an external firewire/usb hard drive. You can format it to GUID/GPT partition scheme and install pc_evi_v80 boot loader and then use disk utility to restore your install dvd to the external hard drive. That way you can experiment by replacing/patching the kexts your system may need and then try to boot the external drive. You can save burning a lot of dvd coasters that way. If you mess it up, just restore the retail dvd to the hard drive and start over. Make a shell script to do the patching so you don't need to type it all by hand - also makes it easier to remember what all needs to be patched.

There are several guide/how-to threads in the forum that address what needs to be done.

Good luck.

I have a C2D, ASUS P5B mobo, currently with Leopard running with PC EFI...I guess a better question is when I decide to reinstall, should I use the Kalyway DVD+ PCEFI or use a retail DVD+PCEFI, and if retail is better, how do I do it?