typedef struct help

3 posts in this topic

I got this bug in my head where I can't seem to understand what this is saying, I have checked three different books I have on typedef and struct but I don't know exactly what this code is doing.

Example code:

typedef struct point

{

int x;

int y;

} point_t;

Now I always thought if you wanted a structure of a certain type to be declared you just go:

typedef struct

{

int x;

int y;

} point_t;

What exactly is the first example doing with "point" and "point_t" or simply what happens with point? Cause I understand that later on I can declare:

point_t a, b;

but I basically have never seen a declaration of struct with an identifier after "typedef struct" and one after the closing "}"

Thanks for any help...

Laters

I got this bug in my head where I can't seem to understand what this is saying, I have checked three different books I have on typedef and struct but I don't know exactly what this code is doing.

Example code:

typedef struct point

{

int x;

int y;

} point_t;

Now I always thought if you wanted a structure of a certain type to be declared you just go:

typedef struct

{

int x;

int y;

} point_t;

What exactly is the first example doing with "point" and "point_t" or simply what happens with point? Cause I understand that later on I can declare:

point_t a, b;

but I basically have never seen a declaration of struct with an identifier after "typedef struct" and one after the closing "}"

Thanks for any help...

Laters

In this thread you will find an answer:

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread620088.html

Pay special attention to post #5, it explains why sometimes you have to have named struct even if you are using typedef...