Travel frequently - Issues with Network - getting new IP

Jaco

2 posts in this topic

Hi

I travel for work and when I am at the office I connect to a wireless network, then when I go back to the hotel I connect to either the wireless or the Ethernet at the hotel. This could be a network issue at the hotel but I thought I will post this and see if anybody else have similar experiences.

It seems like my MacBook Pro sometimes takes a while to either reset/release the IP from the last network, I am guessing. For example when I put computer to sleep at office and go to hotel, get to hotel, plug ethernet in and open up computer to wake up from sleep, open Safari or Firefox, it can takes very long for page to come up (like 20-30 min) which configure the internet setting. I normally have to get the Hotel Internet Page, agree before it will allow me to go on the internet.

First I thought it's just the local network but the another person that I work with had no problem with his old clunky dell laptop running windows.

My system is the latest MBP 15" and I am running Leopard.

Anybody ran into this issue - or know something I can do to refresh the IP or reset something, I even tried to go to network settings and renew IP, no difference. Sometimes it seems to help if I power down laptop - wait a few seconds and then power up again.

So I have no idea what the problem can be - at home and office I normally have no issue but I am getting tired of struggeling everynight to get online.

Thanks

Jaco

A buddy of mine and I were on the road recently with his MacBook Pro. We stayed in several hotels over the course of the trip, and never had any problem getting an ip address, having plugged in the laptop with it asleep, and opened it up.

I also routinely bring my MacBook to other networks, and I don't have a problem with it grabbing a DHCP address anywhere.

If it is still under warranty, or if you have AppleCare, let those guys take a look at the book.

In the meantime, I'd try powering the computer down before plugging it into a foreign network, then, cold-boot it with the ethernet plugged in, and see if that helps.

If the incidents have all been at the same hotel, or the same chain, see if your Mac grabs an ip well when you are on some other network, or at home. If your Mac works well on networks other than the hotel, then, I'd say the problem is with the hotel, not your Mac.