Help on Dual-Boot Kalyway and PCLinuxOS, Dual-Drive

DSM

6 posts in this topic

My apologies if this has been covered before. I've searched all over for this and always seem to get information that is close, but not quite fitting my situation.

I have an ECS945G-M3 with a nVidia 7300GT and two sata drives, a 250gig drive with Kalyway 10.5.1 and an additional 160gig drive I'd like to install PCLinuxOS onto.

My machine does not like the Vanilla option, so I did not install that version of the kernel. I used the MBR option this time, thinking that Grub would be better able to handle it. My motherboard bios allows me to select which drive to boot from first.

My thinking is that I can disconnect the 250gig Kalyway 10.5.1 drive, install PCLinuxOS on the second 160gig drive, set a chainloader option in grub, then re-connect the 250gig Kalyway drive, set bios to boot from the 160gig drive first, and all should work.

Any expert advice?

Thanks

My thinking is that I can disconnect the 250gig Kalyway 10.5.1 drive, install PCLinuxOS on the second 160gig drive, set a chainloader option in grub, then re-connect the 250gig Kalyway drive, set bios to boot from the 160gig drive first, and all should work.

Any expert advice?

Thanks

That is what I did with mine with the exception of no setting of boot order my Debian install is on the first HD which I disconected when installing Kalyway then when I re-connected I booted into Debian used a chainloader entry in my menu.lst which then when used takes you to the MBR EFI loader of the Mac install then it boots into that install.

That is what I did with mine with the exception of no setting of boot order my Debian install is on the first HD which I disconected when installing Kalyway then when I re-connected I booted into Debian used a chainloader entry in my menu.lst which then when used takes you to the MBR EFI loader of the Mac install then it boots into that install.

So, if I have a Kalyway MBR install on the first drive (hd0,0), I can add an entry like:

title MacOS X

root (hd0,0)

chainloader –force +1

?

So, if I have a Kalyway MBR install on the first drive (hd0,0), I can add an entry like:

title MacOS X

root (hd0,0)

chainloader –force +1

?

Yes should work although I did not use the -force switch so it may not be necessary here is my section as you can see I just copied the Windows example that was already in the menu.lst file changing for my drive order.

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda1
#title		  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
#root		   (hd0,0)
#savedefault
#makeactive
#chainloader	+1

title		  Other operating systems:
root

title		   Leopard 10.5.1
root			(hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	 +1

Thanks so much for your help. I added this to PCLinux's /boot/grub/menu.lst file using a text editor as root:

title Hackintosh 10.5.1

root (hd1,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

After making sure my bios regarded the PCLinux drive as the first, master hard drive I now have a perfectly functioning Mac/Linux box.

By the way, I'm using the Gnome version of PCLinux, and I am really impressed by how well it is working.

-DSM

OK, here's how it ought to be done.

Kalyway should be installed first on the "slave," or second drive. Make sure your bios has this right, otherwise linux will try to install grub on that drive.

Kalyway was installed with the MBR option, not sure if it matters or not.

Leave the Kalyway drive connected.

Install PCLinux on the master dirve (sda, or whatever is master). At bootloader configuration, add another entry there in the dialogue for a new windows entry. In the next panel select the drave/partition that has OSX and you are done.

/font]