From beginner:~( What is Intelbased imac/powerpc/and JAS)

rhonot

5 posts in this topic

hi...firstly, iam a really new to this imac..i never have a chance to buy a mac os before..but since my brother give me a JAS amdintel installer10.4.8,i am really impress with this osx instead of my other mandriva or winxp partition.ok....but now i am really want to know something be4 i update my osx..because i alreadyy done it before and my osx appear to be crash(after update to 10.4.11intelcomboupdate)..my question is:

What is IntelBased imac..since when it was releaseted?an example?

What is PowerPc..it is a mac with motorola cpu?an example?

What is JASamdintel SSE2,3...is it a hack ver of osx?if i am using this ver,can i use the software updater from apple webpage..which product(on the left columm at support page) should i use,intelbased,10.4.8 tiger,or any updater can be apply to my osx..?like an example...MacOSXUpd10.4.11Intel.dmg...can be apply to JAS version..PCwiz advise me about efi must be installed beforne an update?how to install it..? i am using 160 hd,abit lg 95c, ich 7 intel 945gz.. thanks a lot if someone could help me..

What is IntelBased imac..since when it was releaseted?an example?
A Mac with an Intel motherboard and processor. Apple has switched over all of its Macs to Intel, from PowerPC. It was announced August 2005, the first Intel Mac shipped January 2006 (iMac Core Duo + Macbook Pro)
What is PowerPc..it is a mac with motorola cpu?an example?
PowerPC is the range of processors made by Freescale, designed by IBM, used by Apple until the intel switch. Eg. G3, G4 and G5 (used in macs)
What is JASamdintel SSE2,3...is it a hack ver of osx?if i am using this ver,can i use the software updater from apple webpage..which product(on the left columm at support page) should i use,intelbased,10.4.8 tiger,or any updater can be apply to my osx..?like an example...MacOSXUpd10.4.11Intel.dmg...can be apply to JAS version.
Exactly. It is a hacked version of OS X which allows generic x86 pc's to run OS X. You cannot apply updates without patching them first, unless you use EFI and native kernel.
PCwiz advise me about efi must be installed beforne an update?how to install it..? i am using 160 hd,abit lg 95c, ich 7 intel 945gz.. thanks a lot if someone could help me..
EFI emulation is a new development which closely emulates the EFI of a real mac on your pc. This allows you to use the real apple kernel (not hacked), which allows you to update normally. Please note you do need a newer CPU that is either Core Duo, Core 2 Duo or a new Celeron that's core based. Pentium 4's cannot run the native kernel. So how do you get it? There is lots of information on it on this forum. Otherwise, if all else fails you can still update, it's just quite tricky...

I recommend you download iAtkos or Kalyway Leopard (check torrent sites), they are the latest versions of OS X, 10.5.1 , and they include boot EFI and native kernel too!

Thanks for the great info..

iv got more thing to ask?

Please note you do need a newer CPU that is either Core Duo, Core 2 Duo or a new Celeron that's core based. Pentium 4's cannot run the native kernel. So how do you get it?..

~i am using p4 2.6.ghz..8.81 kernel..i also dunno hw it work..i just install and go..

You cannot apply updates without patching them first, unless you use EFI and native kernel..

~What happen after i download and install 'efi boot'..does it give any effect to my mbr..,coz i am using bootitng 1.73 as a boot manager..

I recommend you download iAtkos or Kalyway Leopard (check torrent sites), they are the latest versions of OS X, 10.5.1 , and they include boot EFI and native kernel too!

what do you mean by latest ver...is it a JAS ver 10.5.1 leopard or macosx10.5.1?

Did you mean that if i reinstall the macosx using JAS10.5.1 leopard dvd..all my prob is solved and i can download/update my software anytime without error..?

Hi, well seeing as you're running a Pentium 4, don't bother with the EFI thing. You can't run native kernel and therefore you must update manually. If you want to update, look for the relevant threads on this forum. You must either download a patched update, or modify it yourself.

iAtkos and Kalyway are the latest versions of Mac OS X, which is 10.5.1. They are prepatched, like Jas, meaning they will run on your pc.

You can download yourself Kalyway 10.5.1, I believe it will be the best for your system. The new version contains many new features. 10.5.2 is coming soon, but you will have to modify the update for it to work. Minor updates and fixes should install no problem.

Enjoy Mac OS X!

If you want to update to 10.4.11 what you do is use a patched updater like koolkal or PascalW to update to 10.4.10, then backup the kernel and the essential extensions, update to 10.4.11, do NOT restart and restore the 10.4.10 files back.