Kalyway --------> [3] major problems

Merel

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've looked around many pages on this forum but couldn't resolved my problems...

First of all, have a Sata HDD and Asus P5K-E Wifi motherboard

Here's what my hard drive looks like:

disk0s1
: Windows XP (NTFS)

disk0s2
: Documents (NTFS)

disk0s3
: Mac Os X (Kalyway) (HFS+)

When I installed Kalyway with the MRB partition table, disk0s3 was set as the active boot partition.

My Bios is set to boot on my DVD drive first then on the HDD. When the Kalyway DVD is in the computer, Leopard boots normaly.

---> Here's is the first problem: Leopard won't boot if the DVD is not in the computer.

To make my Windows XP partition work again, I had to set disk0s1 as the active boot partion because Darwin bootloader wouldn't show Windows Xp.

---> Second problem: How can I dual boot Xp/Leaopard and what partition have to be active?

Also, my Wifi still don't work, it's recognized but it shut off few seconds after Leopard starts.

---> Finally: Is there anybody how managed to enable Wifi on P5k-E Wifi edition motherboard?

Thank you very much, your help will be appreciated!

Merel

I read on another thread that a user ran the EFI_MBR package from the Kalyway install DVD after installing and it fixed that problem. Definitely worth a shot. I keep trying to find the thread but I forgot what I searched for when I stumbled on it.

I read on another thread that a user ran the EFI_MBR package from the Kalyway install DVD after installing and it fixed that problem. Definitely worth a shot. I keep trying to find the thread but I forgot what I searched for when I stumbled on it.

Oh, please, if you find the thread, let us know. I am looking how to fix this problem also.

It doesn't bug me that much, but fixing it would make it more convenient.

I did that and it still doesn't work...

Merel,

You have two options.... well, one really. Configure the XP boot.ini to boot Leopard. Or vice versa with the Darwin Bootloader. Or is something else wrong?

Ive tried the boot.ini, Leopard won't boot I just have a black screen with a flashing _.

In Darwin Bootloader I don't see the Windows XP partition...

It only work when the DVD is in and after the 8 time out it boot normaly...

Any help with my other issue?

Use EasyBCD to config your boot.ini file and use the chain0 file from /usr/standalone/i386 to bring up darwin boot loader.

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

C:\chain0="Mac OS X x86"

Didn't work... still the flashing _

I just need somebody to answer these 2 simple questions:

What are the booting files on the hfs+ partition?

What makes Leopard boot normaly when I pop the Kalyway DVD in?

As for the WIFI, I don't think anybody managed to make it work on the P5K-E Wifi so....

What would be the cheapest WIFI dongle/pci card that would work great with Leopard 10.5.1?

Thanks!!

I also encountered this problem (and fixed it), whether my methods are acceptable I highly doubt.. But at least I can shed light on the situation.

Attempt #1: Installed from DVD using GUID method. Install failed. Lame.

Attempt #2: Installed from DVD using MBR method. Install succeeded. Booted to black screen with blinking cursor "_". Lame.

Attempt #3: Installed 10.4.8 JAS DVD using VMWare (also create a virtual disk the same size as the disk in question [DO NOT ALLOCATE DISK SPACE!]), converted the VMDK to a RAW format using qemu-img, used Linux tool dd to dump the raw HDD image to the drive, proceeded with standard install from 10.5.1 Kaly DVD disabled both MBR + GUID methods. Only problem at that point was after booting I was presented with a blank (default blue background) screen with my mouse... waiting... for something... anything... to happen. Which never did. Lame.

Attempt #4: I ended up finding PC_EFI V8 which resolved the boot problem. Thank God. Success.

For those of you not fluent enough with the range of utilities I mentioned above... I may find the time to write a guide for you, otherwise I have not left out a single step of the process so I recommend to those that do understand; try it.

I emphasize creating the proper disk size first, because I did not and had to resize the HFS+ partition manually... Which was both scary and unpleasant considering the number of hours I spent attempting to install Leopard. (Please understand, I went through about 40 attempts with worthless minor tweaks that people all over this board recommended.. I have learned the "do it yourself" method well.)

Those that NEED the guide, email me: caleb@calebgray.com -- If I feel compassionate enough I'll write a comprehensive guide on what I did.

Boot the DVD's bootloader, hit F8, type "-s" (without the quotes) to boot into a terminal, then use DD to manually install the bootloader to your disk.

I highly recommend letting the DVD boot all the way and using the Terminal from there, though, this way you can use the Disk Util gui to find exactly the right disk and partition to be doing this to.

boot1h is found on the root of the DVD (iso9660, not HFS+) [iOW: Copying it to a USB drive from Windows or something may be easier to find it.]

Then in the terminal locate the "boot1h" file: cd /Volumes/USB-DRIVE-NAME-HERE/

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

Of course, replacing the X and Y with the disk and partition found from using Disk Util.

NOTE: Some have said this will erase all data, that is only true if you leave out the "bs=512 count=1" part. So, YES, proceed with caution, NO, it will not erase everything: just the master boot record.

There is a space: cd /Volumes

In prompt you can use the tab key to auto-complete names: cd /Vol[TAB] == cd /Volumes

If it doesn't auto-complete, then your syntax is incorrect.

If you can't remember the volume name, then just use cd /Volumes and then: ls

This will "list" the directory and tell you the name of all the mounted Volumes. Look for the familiar one.

I did it but still doesn't work...

I thought that too, but it actually works. Try to change partition with Windows installed to active, reboot and hit F8 to get to bootloader, then select to boot Kalyway's Leopard. Now it should boot fine without the DVD.

Merel, are you still working on this? I ordered the P5K-E and it'll be here on Thursday...planning on doing a very similar install then. Let me know cause I have some ideas to get you up and running after doing some reading.

I stumbled across this thread today - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=82060

It's a guide for booting Windows and Mac on the same hard drive. Use a boot loader (as described in that link), imo it's a lot easier than modifying the Windows boot.ini files to boot into Mac. The link provides instructions for starting for scratch. If you don't want to do that, try skipping the first few OS installation steps. I'd start by installing Acronis boot loader and setting it up, see if it works, since you already have the OS's installed.

As for your Wi-Fi, there are some drivers posted here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69132

These are drivers for the basic functions of the P5K board. The drivers work pretty well, but I only have the P5K base model (without wireless), so I don't know if that works. I think some people on that thread have had success with the wireless though.

Why you can boot with the DVD and not without is because you didn't install bootloader correctly on your hard drive. In this kind of scenario most likely cause is failure to follow the instructions to the letter.

0) you can fix this without reformatting and reinstalling.

1) get the latest PC_Efi which v.8 should also work starting with v.5

2) copy PC_Efi folder to a USB thumbdrive or any other drive but NOT your OSX86 install drive.

2) reboot into the DVD install (press f12 at restart and select DVD/CD.)

3) When DVD install window comes up go to Terminal

4) UNMOUNT your OSX86 drive. YOU MUST UNMOUNT before installing bootloader. (you can do this with Disk utility or through the Terminal)

5) follow the shell command instructions to install PC_Efi.

6) Type Reboot in the Terminal.