can i install grub on a small partition to boot into leopard

iwantsound44

6 posts in this topic

when i select the harddrive leopard is on the active it says hfs+ partition error ... so i have to have the cd in and let the time run out.......is there a way i can install grub on a small partition and have that be my bootloader so i can boot into leopard...if there is i would love to know how to install grub and what size partition i should make for it

when i select the harddrive leopard is on the active it says hfs+ partition error ... so i have to have the cd in and let the time run out.......is there a way i can install grub on a small partition and have that be my bootloader so i can boot into leopard...if there is i would love to know how to install grub and what size partition i should make for it

Grub installs to your MBR, but it does need a partition it can read for some files.

The grub manual is here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

In theory, you could do this with a really tiny ext2 or ext3 partition, on which would reside menu.lst and boot_v8 (the pc_efi bootloader)

However doing this without some OS to edit files (Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris) doesn't seem sensible.

The easiest way is to install some version of Linux. There exist some really tiny versions. I prefer SUSE which is not tiny.

Then get boot_v8

Copy it to /boot inside linux

Then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Mac OSX Leopard

root (hd?,?) (replace with same values grub uses for Linux partition, not ones for OSX partition)

kernel /boot/boot_v8

boot

Good Luck

• 11 months later...

This post helped me finally get my system running

I got boot_v8 from the kalyway dvd in /usr/standalone/i386/

my system is a Dell Lattitude 131L laptop

The AMD makes it hard to install everything

I'm so happy now that I'll tell you my story:

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2, amd patch 1 and the 3rd option, as well as the power management bundle

Then upgraded to 10.5.4 using the 4Minds combo update (flawless!)

Then upgraded to 10.5.5, also using the 4Minds amd update. post install script fails, but whatevs

installed the iPhone SDK (from apple), where the CHUD tools hung up the install (do not select these on amd)

Somehow this screwed up my system beyond bootability

thinking I was clever, I had restored my 5.5 image to a second partition, to which I now booted into, and restored back to the original partition

when this was done, Leopard mentioned to me it was 'Updating the boot cache', which apparently means 'I'm destroying your bootloader'

I could now only boot with the Kalyway DVD in the system, (everything worked fine when I did that)

fixes from many posts involving pc_efi and startupfiletool did not help alleviate the boot issues; there was no boot menu without the dvd

When you are here, but otherwise happy with the system it boots into, use disk utility to create a new image and store it somewhere external (usb hd or network)

Now you can feel ok about repartitioning this drive and messing around with dangerous data destroying tools and installers

I resorted to installing Puppy Linux (smallest and sweetest Linux I know) to a 1GB partition, which then installs GRUB with it

On this laptop you then need to modify the menu.lst for puppy and add 'acpi=off' to the boot options (kind of off topic, but its important if you go this route)

went back in with the kalyway dvd and went into disk util prior to setup, formatted my second partition to MBR and restored my 10.5.5 image from USB drive

booted back into puppy and modified the menu.lst as stated by wmarsh (note the important tidbit of info between parenthesis) and was up and running

Installed the iPhone SDK without CHUD tools, and life is sweet once again.

Just wanted to chime in here. Thanks to wmarsh and my own persistence, I have GRUB totally installed on a small ext2 partition (except for stage1 on the MBR), and it boots XP, Linux, and Leopard regardless of what hard disk they are installed to. GRUB in its own partition is great if you tend to reinstall a lot or install new distros and don't want to re-do GRUB every time. My GRUB files (basically a clone of my Suse /boot directory) is totally separate from everything else, so nothing can keep me from it aside from either a borked partition table or an overwritten MBR - and even that can be fixed by reinstalling GRUB stage1 from a live cd and telling it where the GRUB partition is.

I'm hoping to write a full guide to setting up like this (with retail leo installation) this weekend. Wish me luck.