Partitioning problem (turned "Still waiting for root device" problem)

valzilla

9 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've been following the instructions for installing OSX on my PC but I get stuck at step 5 where it asks me to use DiskPart to create a partition in the unallocated space made back in step 2.

When I type in "create partition primary id=af" it gives me the message "Unable to create the specified partition".

Below is a screenshot of the disk structure as according to PartitionMagic:

partitionsls4.jpg

(C: is for Windows and programs and D: is for my personal files)(The grey unallocated space was created by resizing the D: partition in step 2).

I think DiskPart gives me the error because the unallocated space is on the extended portion but I'm new to partitioning so I really don't know.

Any help regarding how I should partition so I would basically have C:, D:, and Leopard partitions is very welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Partitions for and bootable systems must be primary and creating extended partitions is not required for Windows anymore (you can make 4 primary and one extended), so make all of your partitions primary and you should be OK.

You can learn more about partitioning in Windows XP, here: http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=246

Cheers,

hecker

EDIT: The reason you get the error is that you are trying to create a logical partition (since it's inside the extended space) and that is no good for Leo or any other bootable partition as I mentioned above.

Hmm I've got a partition problem but it's different from yours.

This is my hard drive configuration:

partition.jpg

I can't seem to create the partition at the unallocated space. When I type 'create partition parimary id=af' this appears:

diskpart.jpg

Is there any way to get around it?

off-topic: what is EISA configuration?

Hmm I've got a partition problem but it's different from yours.

This is my hard drive configuration:

partition.jpg

I can't seem to create the partition at the unallocated space. When I type 'create partition parimary id=af' this appears:

diskpart.jpg

Is there any way to get around it?

off-topic: what is EISA configuration?

Did you select the partition before entering the partition command? Maybe diskpart wants to create a partition at the end of the table.

Learn all about DISKPART, here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

EDIT: This is how the select command works:

Use the select disk command to set the focus to the disk that has the specified Windows NT disk number. If you do not specify a disk number, the command displays the current in-focus disk.

select partition[=n/l]

Yeah I selected partition 2 (which is C:\), but when I enter the partition command, the error is still the same "insufficient free space" thingy. I tried to specify the offset to 92GB, but it still doesn't work, still gives the insufficient space thingy.

Even when I tried to create a simple volume using Disk Management (with no drive letter and no formatting), I get "There is not enough space on the disk(s) to complete this operation"..

Erm, there shouldn't be any problems with my unallocated space as it is shown on the hard drive properties..

harddiskconfig.jpg