Asus Pundit P2-P5945G Native Install

lostbear

2 posts in this topic

This is a quick guide to getting Tiger (and Leopard!) working on an Asus Pundit P2-P5945G (Intel Based). I bought one of these to use as a PVR and realised something. Its not a million miles away from a mac mini in terms of specification. It is also very simple to get Mac OSx running on this.

Hardware:

Asus Pundit P2-P5945G

80GB Maxtor IDE Drive

Sony DVD/CDRW IDE drive

1gb of Ram

1.8ghz Dual Core Processor (E2160)

I also have a Hauppage twin tuner digital TV Card in here which mac os detects properly, and prilminary investigations tell me this will work. My card is a WinTV Nova-T 500 which is compatable with linux so I guess that helps with compatablility. if i get it going ill post a guide.

Tiger

-----

Very simple. From past experince trying to get this going on my Striker 680i machine i simply turned off legacy usb keyboard and mouse support and then ran the tiger install and low and behold it booted straight to the install routine without haveing to use commands. (i used JAS tiger) Just uncheck the extra languages (unless you are not english), remove printer drivers, check the intel kexts and also check the additional hardware supports as this will set up the onboard GMA 950 graphics. Once installes, all you need to do is find the Azalie installer on this forum somewhere and you will have audio. The only thing that doesnt work (it may do if upgrade to current updates) is the onboard LAN. I ended up putting in a Realtek 8139 network card and hooking it up to my router. To update, you need to do it WITHOUT replacing the kernal. This info is in this forum somewhere. Quartz extreme works, and it reports the CPU correctly in profiler. I have watched an entire film on this no problem with the standard dvd software built in. (watched the Bourne Supremecy)

Leopard

--------

Pretty much the same as above, only this time there is no working way to get Audio to work untill someone figures that out. However, the onboard LAN now works! I used the ToH leopard installer. Do pretty much the sames as before, uncheck drivers and languages and keep additional hardware if its there. Quartz extreme works, system profiler reports the processor as a core solo. I think there is something called the Golden patch that will fix this.

And there you have it. This is the easiest way I think to get mac os running on a hackintosh. A DIY mac mini for half the price of a real one!! :(

• 1 year later...
This is a quick guide to getting Tiger (and Leopard!) working on an Asus Pundit P2-P5945G (Intel Based). I bought one of these to use as a PVR and realised something. Its not a million miles away from a mac mini in terms of specification. It is also very simple to get Mac OSx running on this.

Hardware:

Asus Pundit P2-P5945G

80GB Maxtor IDE Drive

Sony DVD/CDRW IDE drive

1gb of Ram

1.8ghz Dual Core Processor (E2160)

I also have a Hauppage twin tuner digital TV Card in here which mac os detects properly, and prilminary investigations tell me this will work. My card is a WinTV Nova-T 500 which is compatable with linux so I guess that helps with compatablility. if i get it going ill post a guide.

Tiger

-----

Very simple. From past experince trying to get this going on my Striker 680i machine i simply turned off legacy usb keyboard and mouse support and then ran the tiger install and low and behold it booted straight to the install routine without haveing to use commands. (i used JAS tiger) Just uncheck the extra languages (unless you are not english), remove printer drivers, check the intel kexts and also check the additional hardware supports as this will set up the onboard GMA 950 graphics. Once installes, all you need to do is find the Azalie installer on this forum somewhere and you will have audio. The only thing that doesnt work (it may do if upgrade to current updates) is the onboard LAN. I ended up putting in a Realtek 8139 network card and hooking it up to my router. To update, you need to do it WITHOUT replacing the kernal. This info is in this forum somewhere. Quartz extreme works, and it reports the CPU correctly in profiler. I have watched an entire film on this no problem with the standard dvd software built in. (watched the Bourne Supremecy)

Leopard

--------

Pretty much the same as above, only this time there is no working way to get Audio to work untill someone figures that out. However, the onboard LAN now works! I used the ToH leopard installer. Do pretty much the sames as before, uncheck drivers and languages and keep additional hardware if its there. Quartz extreme works, system profiler reports the processor as a core solo. I think there is something called the Golden patch that will fix this.

And there you have it. This is the easiest way I think to get mac os running on a hackintosh. A DIY mac mini for half the price of a real one!! :)

Have you got further news ?? I would like to install Leopard on my Asus P2-P5945G.

Thank you in advance