vista on EFI

crankshaft

5 posts in this topic

Hi;

I have looked through the threads related to dualbooting vista and leopard, but they all seem related to boting using MBR and not EFI which I now have.

I have tried 3 methods of installing Vista, all 3 failed and I am now stumped !!

When I try and install Vista from the original DVD outside of Leo, when I get to the stage where I need to select the volume, all of the volumes on the EFI drive are listed, if I select the one I want to use it says that it needs to use NTFS, so I select it and format it to NTFS which succeeds, but when i select that newly formatted partition it says that it can't use the selected partition (which it just formatted) as it does not meet it's criteria, or something along those lines.

I have also tried installing Vista using Parallels Desktop "My Boot Camp" which progressed sucessfully until the stage where it needed to reboot and popped up a message saying that it was unable to continue as it could not move to the next stage which required a reboot.

SO... I installed using Parallels Desktop for a new VM using the wizard, which then crashes Leo with a Kernel Panic requiring a reboot, a quick look in the log revealed that Parallels tried to launch VXt (the intel Virtualization feature) and that invoked the Kernel Panic.

I have tried all of these steps several times, and all fail the same way.

Any suggestions ?? - has anyone else succeeded with Vista (32) on EFI ??

OK, managed to install Vista on EFI, now I can boot into vista, but can no longer boot into leopard, have tried F8 during bootup, but that just launches the windows bootup options.

I have tried installing EasyBCD and added the MAX option, which requires you to copy /usr/standalone/boot.efi to c:/NST for EasyBcd to boot OSX but that does not work, with an error saying that the file is missing or corrupt, well it is not missing it is definetely there.

Any suggestions please ?? - how can I boot back to leopard ??

Use a disk partitioning software to set Leopard to active, or install a piece of software to make a boot loader, like GRUB. I personally use Acronis OS Selector.

If you just decide to set leopard active, use F8 to select Windows.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi Thanks for the suggestions, it's hac, but it's running EFI not MBR, I just set the leo partition to active in Vista's disk manager and then neither would boot !

Luckily I have another install on a USB drive and was able to boot to that and make the Leo partition active again.

I have now progressed to installing Parallels Desktop, have followed the instruction elsewhere on the forum to add ";disk0s3 to the disk ID, but when it boots within parallels it get a "b0 error" which i presume is a can't find a bootloader, yet I can boot to it by hitting F8 during boot and selecting the Boot Camp (Vista) Volume ?!