No Internet.

UnrivaledPk

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been trying really hard to get Mac to fully work on my computer but so far nothing has worked. I have downloaded two tiger iso's but kept getting the error 'still waiting for root device' and then something got screwed up in my computer, everytime I want to boot the computer I have to press F12 to choose my hard drive or else it doesn't work. Now I downloaded two different leopard iso's Itakos and ToH's and tried to see if that worked. I tried ToH first and to my surprise it worked and I successfully got leopard running on my computer. Though inorder for me to do so I have to press F12 and choose boot from CD. I installed this over my windows installation as I thought everything should work. Now I can't connect to the internet which is my biggest problem at the moment. So if someone knows what to do please help.

P.S. I don't know what the specs on my computer are so I don't know unless you can find it on leopard somehow.

Thanks

well unless I'm a magical genie, I don't know either. So I suggest you find a way to figure out what your ethernet controller is, or install an expansion card.

either way, there is a lot you could have done to help yourself before posting here.

EDIT:

Fine i will be nice. Driver support in OS X comes from kexts. These are files in /System/library/Extensions. In order to get your internet working, you must figure out what your ethernet controller is somehow, and then use google to find a kext for it. Install this kext and you should be good to go!

here is how you install a kext:

boot in single user (go into boot options at startup, type "-s". wait till you get to a command-line interface, and do whatever it tells you to to mount the filesystem. otherwise you can only read files, not write)

cp -R /path/to/new/kext/newKext.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 *

chown -R root:wheel *

cd ..

rm -rf Extensions.mkext

restart

I did search around for the problem but I had no idea what I was supposed to do as in one of the threads the person said to do something with sudo man---, but when I did that it said it doesn't exsist so I thought it would be better to post for help rather than trying to do it myself. I have installed mac around 4 times and windows xp 4 times so I was getting some what fustrated so sorry if it appeard I didn't search around. I just reinstalled windows inorder to find out the name of the ethernet and it tells me my ethernet controller is Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, and by looking at this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074

It appears I should try this:Broadcom 57xx but when I read the threads it says to download it but the thing is I will not have internet access so how can I get that? So if someone could reply on how to tackle this before I install mac all over again I would really appreciate it.

I'm kind of guessing you need a flashdrive or something but the only thing that I have is an ipod if that is useful here.

I did search around for the problem but I had no idea what I was supposed to do as in one of the threads the person said to do something with sudo man---, but when I did that it said it doesn't exsist so I thought it would be better to post for help rather than trying to do it myself. I have installed mac around 4 times and windows xp 4 times so I was getting some what fustrated so sorry if it appeard I didn't search around. I just reinstalled windows inorder to find out the name of the ethernet and it tells me my ethernet controller is Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, and by looking at this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074

It appears I should try this:Broadcom 57xx but when I read the threads it says to download it but the thing is I will not have internet access so how can I get that? So if someone could reply on how to tackle this before I install mac all over again I would really appreciate it.

I'm kind of guessing you need a flashdrive or something but the only thing that I have is an ipod if that is useful here.

yes an iPod will work just fine. In fact that is what I used for my entire OSx86 installation process :rolleyes:

You should download it now to your thumbdrive (iPod) in windows so that you will have it when you install mac.

do you have access to no other computers?

I think you have just solved your problem.

good luck, and I will watch this thread to see how you do

do you have access to no other computers?

Yes, I do. I have two other computers other than the one I'm trying the installation on.

good luck, and I will watch this thread to see how you do

Thank you socal swimmer, I appreciate that. I have read through 22 pages and tried every single solution avaible in the hadware-driver section on Broadcom drivers. I only have one solution left so if you can tell in noob friendly terms how to install this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry129533

And to get it working?

Also I have another computer this one- and it uses the Intel® PRO/VE Network- will I have better success in your opinion.

Thanks

Yes, I do. I have two other computers other than the one I'm trying the installation on.

Thank you socal swimmer, I appreciate that. I have read through 22 pages and tried every single solution avaible in the hadware-driver section on Broadcom drivers. I only have one solution left so if you can tell in noob friendly terms how to install this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry129533

And to get it working?

Also I have another computer this one- and it uses the Intel® PRO/VE Network- will I have better success in your opinion.

Thanks

well no you won't have better success. I was thinking you could use it to download stuff if necessary.

how to:

download the file

unarchive it

place it somewhere easy to find, like the root ("/") of your hard drive

boot in single user (go into boot options at startup, type "-s". wait till you get to a command-line interface, and do whatever it tells you to to mount the filesystem. otherwise you can only read files, not write)

cp -R /path/to/new/kext/newKext.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 *

chown -R root:wheel *

cd ..

rm -rf Extensions.mkext

restart

Thanks for your help Socal Swimmer, but I kinda gave up after trying for a week to get it to work. I reinstalled windows and checked my id and saw it was not supported at the moment and other solutions haven't worked for me. It's probably the iso as the first one was terrible as what ever I tried it didn't work, and the second worked (actually showed the ethernet connection) but said the plug was not plugged in so I'm giving up. I was thinking of installing it on a different computer but these computers use intel wireless which is not supported at the moment. So thanks for your help.