"operating system not found"?

fLuXuS

4 posts in this topic

hey there,

i am new to this stuff, but i always wanted to run mac os on my pc. now i finally got an AMD version of the Leopard-AMD-10.5.1 version. it is a readymade image of about 4.5gb that i burned onto a dvd.

i should probably tell you the specs first.

its a tyan k8we mainboard with 2x AMD opteron 885 cpus and a geforce 8400gs. 2x sata 250gb

when booting from the dvd it runs all the checks and loads some stuff. after 20 minutes i can start the installation. i have used diskutility to fromat one of the sata disks to mac os extended journaled and gave it a volume label. formatting was no problem and so was the installation. i unchecked all the additional stuff like language geforce 8xxx drivers and x11. after the installation i reboot, but the following happens. end up with a black screen and top left it says "operating system not found" just like when you put an original leopard dvd in the drive and try to boot from it. do i still have to change any kexts? i thought since it is already a patched amd leo version i wouldnt have to do all the programming and edditing anymore. or do i need a certain kind of bootloader? i would appreciate any suggestions and help from you guys.

thx in advance

Take a look at the Wiki:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc3

And, there's a BIG thread about that particular .iso:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73524

More commonly referred to as: Zephyroth AMD 10.5.1 (version 1)

The installer failed to may you install partition or HD bootable. You can correct it easily by following the instructions on the Wiki or posted in the thread... There are also some other issues you might need to be aware of - the Wiki will be your friend.

thx cgsheen!

yesterday i did it all over again but this time i installed the "kalyway - make leopard hd bootable" version first, before installing the amd leo 10.5.1 version on top. now this time it doesnt say "operating system not found" anymore but it boots until it gets a kernel panic. when i try -x it boots but ends up in leo with a big screen and a mac keyboard on it saying, "first i have to connect a keyboard" - therefore it is not loading my PS2Controller. is there any kext that i have to add in the terminal thingy that makes it work? btw. when booting - before getting the kernel panic it says on the bottom that it is a ToH version of leo. thats the last message before it stops doing anything.

i am gonna try it with -legacy now, eventhough i havent got a clou what the -legacy command stands for i know -x is safe mode, but as i said when booting in safe mode, it misses some crucial drivers like the PS2Controller to run my keyboard and mouse.

any other suggestions i can try?

i am gonna have a look at the wiki now. thanks for the tip btw.

• 4 weeks later...

ok i got everything to work.

i did have to copy the ApplePS2Controller.kext from the cd into my leopard extensions folder. and removed the GeForce.kext and NVDAResman.kext from it to prevent Kp during boot.

thx