Leo and XP Dual Boot, 1 Hard Drive

blindmist

7 posts in this topic

Is it possible to dual boot Leo and XP on one single drive? All I have seen is having two seperate drives, one with Leo and one with XP.

I have my drive partitioned into two partitions. The first partition is Leo and the second will be XP, but when I boot into the XP installer, it does not detect the second partition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Easy, i do it. I recomend installing windows first.. then installing leopard and then you should be able to use darwin bootloader to choose between. In xp you cannot see a mac partition without a program called macdrive or i think transmac works aswell.

Is it possible to dual boot Leo and XP on one single drive? All I have seen is having two seperate drives, one with Leo and one with XP.

I have my drive partitioned into two partitions. The first partition is Leo and the second will be XP, but when I boot into the XP installer, it does not detect the second partition.

Any help would be appreciated.

yes, it's possible. there are numerous guides here that tell you what to do. Mine is setup on a notebook running vista and leo. depending on your configuration there are several scenarios you can do this. I had vista installed, made space for a second partition, did not format it and used acronis true image to put an image onto that partition that I got from the same notebook with single drive and leo. then I use vista boot loader via boot.ini entry and tboot (instead of chain0) to load darwin bootloader. you can also install leo onto the new partition and use the darwin bootloader to boot into vista, or you fix the mbr by running vista install disk and do a repair (then use entry as above to start darwin via tboot or chain0). there is also a program called easybcd to do the job for you.

here

is a nice guide

edit: wow, you got three replies while I was typing. cool

you can make and format partitions with anything.. personally i use "hirens bootcd" which is an awesome disk that has many utilties. I think the easiest way to do it is Either install windows xp (or vista) first and then Leopard.. or atleast make the partition for windows first then the one for leopard...

You CAN use XP for the formatting---> Right Click on My computer.. go to Computer management --> disk management. From there you can format but ur are limited to ur options. If u already have XP installed and set up the partitions.. skip to my step 2 (ignore the install xp part)

This is what i would do: Boot into the disk utility (hirens bootcd) and (assuming ur hardrive is over 100gb) make 3 partitons.. first partition would be 25gb for xp formatted in either Fat32 or NTFS. the second partition would be LEopard.. format that as Fat32. The third partition is a Data using the remaining space.. format that as fat32.

1 Next make the xp partition active... using any number of methods (preferably the same program u used to create the partitions)

2 Install xp.. after xp(or vista) i install you would... 1. Start-run type 'CMD'. 2. in the Command prompt type 'Diskpart' 3. In diskpart type 'select disk 0' (assuming the drive ur using is the only drive), 4. then type in 'list partitions' and find ur leopard partition (it should be number 2..). 5. type 'select partition 2' Then type 'set active'.

3 Then Reboot and put in ur install disk (preferably kalyways).

4 Go into Diskutility and erase ur Fat32 (formatting it into Macosx journaled(extended))

5 Install with customized options "vanilla kernel" only if ur hardware is compatible and "MBR partition scheme"

6 install and ur good to go... now everytime you reboot u have a choice between XP, Leopard (and ur unbootable Data partition)

Good luck.. sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes i made.

i appreciate the replies.

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get the windows xp installer to recognize my hard drive and it just will not do it. I have used gparted live cd, and even wrote zeros to the disk with the western digital tools and no success. i am now restoring my leo install with time machine.

with this hirens bootcd,when i make partitions, is it like partition magic where it doesnt have to wipe the drive?