Terratec Phase X24

balmac

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

have anyone managed to get the Terratec Phase X24 (firewire) work correctly? OSx86 finds it without problem but it doesn't show up in the Sounds preferences Output/Input meny. I have installed the control panel (from Terratec's website) but it's all "greyed out".

I have searched this forum for similar topics without finding anything. I have read about prople who modified the AppleFWAudio.kext but is not sure whether that's the problem in the case.

Does anyone know what the problem could be. Thanks for a great forum.

/balmac

• 1 year later...

hi, howewer your post is more than a year old, i want to report the same problem. The interace is well recognized and i could hear sounds, but the control panel is freezed. Anybody there who could give me (us) a little idea of what to change in AppleFWAudio.kext to get it all work? (Maybe something like this: "http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t17818.html" ?)

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi, I've been running the firewire phase x24 on a badaxe2 without any problems in leopard, but with tiger (10.4.6 ) I had to copy the kext files from 10.4.5. The kexts I copied was applefwaudio, ioaudiofamily and iofirewirefamily.

• 5 months later...

I have to bring this thread back to life!

Today I got my X24 FW... but I have the same problem - all greyed out in control panel.

How do I get it working on 10.6 ?

Greetings

----

SOLVED... Control Panel is working after a reboot with connected X24...

Hey everyone...

I got a similar problem.

Theres the same signals on output 1/2 and 3/4. I want different ones. It's routed correctly in logic.

I think the problem is the control panel of the interface.

I use snow leopard 10.6.

When i boot the macbook with the interface connected, the control panel will not open with a message like "could not connect to server. you need to start one on this machine first".

When i boot the macbook with the interface NOT conntectd, the control panel opens but i cant change a thing.. its all greyed out. When i connect the interface now, it will still open, but no difference.

The interface works, but i REALLY need to have 4 outs!

Hope anybody can help me out :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

now the controlpanel works, but only when the phase is not attached while booting.

and when its not attached while booting, it is not recognized by system/logic.

I can change the routing in the controlpanel now, but it still doesnt work, like i want it.

hi guys,

same problem!

connected while booting doesn't even start the panel, and when you connect it afterwards the interface won't get recognized by the system.

why are they releasing a beta driver that doesn't work at all?! :P

how long can it take to create a working driver!? - hopefully they get something within the next weeks,

otherwise i have to sell it and by a new one.

@bloodage

if i connect it after the boot, the control panel seems to work, but the interface doesn't get recognized in the "sound" or "audio/midi" menu. so its impossible for me to use "guitar rig" for example, because i don't hear anything.

does it show up in the sound settings on your mac?

could you please keep me informed, if they respond to your mail?

thanks in advance

I've been using the phase x24 firewire card on snow leopard with ableton live without problems, and without the terratec control panel. The snow leopard kext works well in both the 32 and 64 bit kernel. You can change the default output channels in Audio MIDI Setup by selecting "Configure Speakers" and then choose channels.

However, if you want to change the channel routing, for example analog in -> digital out, then you need the terratec control panel, which only works on the 32 bit kernel if you load it manually in the terminal after boot (I have the driver on my desktop):

Desktop/Phase/Archive/usr/local/bin/PhaseXXService

the new driver is there! check ftp site http://ftp.terratec.de/Producer/PHASE/PHAS...re/Update/Beta/

Great! I will try the driver at once.

yes it shows up in the audio midi setup... but not always.. sometimes it {censored} around ;D

Try to manually unload and load the AppleFWAudio.kext then, it should work. I experienced a lot of problems (long boot time also) when using the default installation of the Terratec driver which uses a script in StartupItems, when I removed this and started the client manually it worked well.

I'm running the Terratec control panel for snow leopard now and it works in 64 bit mode, I suppose it's only a recompile for the new kernel.

@olav

sorry if this question is stupid, but how can i find the .kext file and load/unload it?

thx

for unloading:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFWAudio.kext

and for loading:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFWAudio.kext

to stop and start the PhaseXXService if it's installed with the pkg

sudo /sbin/SystemStarter stop PhaseXXService

sudo /sbin/SystemStarter start PhaseXXService

• 7 months later...

I purchased just a new YAMAHA GO44 firewire interface.

Unfortunately, YAMAHA does not support the control panel for Snow Leopard. They wrote on the box that all Mac OSX 10.5 and upper are supported.

The electronics should be the same to the PHASE X24 Firewire because this model was build together with YAMAHA.

My hope would is that it would be possible to install the Snow Leopard control panel of the PHASE X24 ?

Would it work and identify my GO44 as an X24 Firewire ?

regards,

Kostas

• 1 year later...

Hi,

back on this old thread: I use a Phase 88 FW (same driver as Phase X24), it works in Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Sometimes, or let's say every third restart, I have to shortly restart the device, but ok.

My question is now, does the "PhaseXXService", which is 32bit oldschool code, does it run in Mountain Lion?

• 2 months later...

Hi there! I came across this forum after buying a new Mac Book Pro as my Dell Precision passed away. The problem is that I have a Terratec Phase x24 fw and I cannot find a way to make it work properly with Mountain Lion. Is there a solution (ie updated drivers for Mac OS Χ 10.8.2 for correct routing/monitoring) or do I have to throw my old sound card away?

Thank you very much in advance, I am a total newbie in Mac world...