Windows Vista automatically reorganizing my All Programs Menu

SDRacer48

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I just got my new laptop after I broke my other one and it came with Vista Home Premium (my previous laptop had XP MCE 2005).

First, I have to say that so far I love Vista. I didn't like it at first becuase I had only used it on my wife's laptop and she, well, really unorganized (I am an anal OCD SOB). And that leads me to my problem...

I am such an anal SOB that I do not like that fact that Vista keeps reorganzing my All Programs menu. I cannot get it to stop doing it. I went to Start > Control Panel > Task Bar and Start Menu > Start Menu tab > Customize and unchecked the box that says "Sort All Programs Menu By Name", but it still keeps resorting them.

I do not know what to do.

I also Right Clicked the Start Menu icon and went to both Explore and Explore All Users and check to see if the folders were set to Auto Arrange, they arent.

If anyone has any insight on my issue, please help.

I can't stand that the operating system is going to tell me how MY programs menu should be arranged....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

well may I suggest calling Microsoft and explaining them the problem and have them do remote connection with your vista laptop?

That is what I was considering for my last case scenario...

Probably what I will have to do though... :)

Most people want their programs alphabetized.. :D

Not me, I can't stand the fact that Vista is telling me (THE USER) how my programs should be sorted.

Vista, you are the computer, I am the user, you do what I say... :)

• 7 months later...

Did you ever figure out how to stop Vista from sorting automatically?

Whenever installers create start menu shortcuts in a path like Programs > Company Name > Installer I never know where to find them. In XP, newly installed programs were always at the end of the list which made it easy.

Did you ever figure out how to stop Vista from sorting automatically?

Whenever installers create start menu shortcuts in a path like Programs > Company Name > Installer I never know where to find them. In XP, newly installed programs were always at the end of the list which made it easy.

Nope, I just got use to the alphabetical ordering. I actually prefer it now...

• 10 months later...
Nope, I just got use to the alphabetical ordering. I actually prefer it now...

I know it's an old post but I couldn't resist answering this and registered here just so that I could add this comment: That's what they call the "Stockholm Syndrome" :) ...

Kidding aside, after 2 years I still HATE the auto alphabetical sort of Vista (I am using the Classic Start Menu and, as a matter of fact, have removed as much of the Vista In-Your-Face micromanagement as I could), and have NOT gotten used to it. It is very inefficient, as I use Icons for quick navigation by mouse. Then again, I also hate the way Vista insists on putting all my stuff in Users\[..........\............\...............\.............\..............\.........\...........\[ad nauseam]].

As a work around I've been using the quicklaunch bar instead of the quick menu now, it doesn't force alphabetic sort. You should also look up Vista Start Menu, it lets you keep your order, and it also has a "Classic" interface.