Vmware Fusion and Parallels Kernel Panic w/ 10.5.2 nvidia drivers

soul1239

5 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I have a Kalyway 10.5.1 install (w/ only new 10.5.2 nvidia drivers) successfully working for almost all apps (ran into issues w/ 4gb of ram causing kernel panic but the maxmem=3456 kernel flag helped resolve that (per this post)).

Anyway, Parallels and Vmware Fusion are the only two applications that give me the grey screen of death. I'm guessing this could be because i'm running the new 10.5.2 nvidia display drivers for my 8600gt. Has anyone experienced something similar or am I looking in the wrong spot? I also tried using debug mode for Vmware but it didn't seem to make a difference. I get the grey screen of death at various spots in the install.

All I need is a windows VM for newsbin and some other key apps, thanks a ton. Worst case maybe I'll just have to wait for 10.5.2 proper.

My rig:

1.86ghz core2duo

asus p5b

4gb ddr800 (maxmem=3456)

8600gt

I'm also on Kalyway 10.5.1 running it on Asus P5K-VM mb with 8800gt video (using 10.5.2 beta drivers). Have exactly the same issue with Parallels (build 5580). Never was able to install WinXP as a guest OS on the virtual drive. The process just ends in different places giving me a grey reboot screen. 10 times out of 10. :P And of course no system log info left after reboot doesn't help to troubleshoot the problem.

Upd: Just found that guys are trying to figure similar issue here.

I'm also on Kalyway 10.5.1 running it on Asus P5K-VM mb with 8800gt video (using 10.5.2 beta drivers). Have exactly the same issue with Parallels (build 5580). Never was able to install WinXP as a guest OS on the virtual drive. The process just ends in different places giving me a grey reboot screen. 10 times out of 10. :D And of course no system log info left after reboot doesn't help to troubleshoot the problem.

Upd: Just found that guys are trying to figure similar issue here.

Cool thanks a lot for the update. I think it's almost certainly due to the 10.5.2 drivers, but apparently Apple is about to release the official update relatively soon (assuming it doesn't totally F us up).

Runs fine here on 10.5.2 beta with the newer 10.5.2 kexts. So once 10.5.2 final comes out, it should work fine.

Do you mind elaborating on the newer 10.5.2 kexts? Are these some newer ones that Apple released? All I did was install the Kalyway 10.5.1 and then install the 10.5.2 beta nvidia drivers, did you run the entire update?

I'm probably just too impatient but it would just be nice to get off Vista as my day to day OS. Anyway thanks for the info.