Sorry..but need help for dual boot osx/ubuntu..

l3opard

5 posts in this topic

I know there are tons of guides but i haven't found a working one for me. So please bear and help me out. This is my situation.

I have osx tiger on first partition (uphuck) and ubuntu on the second.

Currently I boot directly into osx. I tried F8 but I don't see the linux option.

I have heard and read that people have gootten it to work with grub and but I don't know how to get to grub if I can't boot into linux itself.

If it is possible to add linux to the osx boot loader then that 's fine too or I don't mind using grub as long as it works..No option for windows..I have got it working with windows/osx/ubuntu before using Acronis. But this one has only osx and ubuntu.

Much appreciated.

google a howto on reinstalling grub

theres loads around and most are pretty easy to follow

there is another method which im not sure works, youd be better off just reinstalling grub manually

but anyway if you boot the ubuntu live/alternate CD start the install and when you get to the part about partitions then select manual but DONT CHANGE ANYTHING click continue and it should skip the install and just reinstall grub, i cant tell you it works since iv never tried it just read it on the forums

• 3 weeks later...

Check post # 11

I used this very simple method to boot OSx on my master hard-drive, and Debian on the slave hard-drive.

I installed OSx first, didn't bother booting it before I installed Debian. While installing grub, I was notified that linux did not recognize any other os on this computer. I then installed grub to the MBR, and rebooted into linux. Once in linux, I edited grub.lst using post #11 as a template

Success!