resolv.conf is cheeky....

digitalfrog

4 posts in this topic

That's a weird one....

I'm running the latest kalyway and pretty much all is working fine on my laptop. Ethernet is recognized, I just have to add the mac address every time I boot but then I can surft the net, resolve names and so on....

That's on my docking station, which I believe is just a pass through from the laptop.

If I try to boot with the laptop alone, the networking card will be detected but won't be running.

I get a beachball spinning forever, and the whole machine is very slow. I can manage to get a shell, and each command takes 30 seconds to run but I could find out something strange:

the card is down, so I did an ifconfig en0 up

that brought the network up, but I could not resolve anything as the /etc/resolv.conf does not exist. (the symlink is there, the real file has not been created by whatever creates it)

So it's like the startup scripts are not the same with the machine off the docking station. Which is really weird. I could not find anything obvious in the log...

All of this is using DHCP, from the same location/cable etc....

Has someone seen that before ??

Thx

Ralph

Confirmed, only one NIC.

I used a linux live CD (Knoppix) to boot and it gives me the same MAC address with and without the docking station.

I tried to manually add a default route but it's useless because I can't even ping 192.168.1.1 (my router)

Ralph

confirm that your dock does not have a built-in NIC, that would explain the different behaviour.

HHHHHaaaaahhhaaa !

I know what's happening..... it works on the docking station / port replicator because ..... there was a power supply attached to it !!!

So I tried my laptop off the station, but with power and ..... ethernet works !!

I wish I would find a fix to it, because I need a power supply to boot my laptop but this is a good progress anyhow.

Hope this may be usefull to someone else someday.

Ralph