OSx86 Installation Issue (AMD Athlon 64 bit)

Alpha D2

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

When I try to boot the Installation Disk (Tubgirl's Compilation of 10.4.10), it does not recognize my harddisk. My hard disk is SATA. I have an AMD 64 bit processor.

I tried to look up the issue and then came across the VMWare method. I tried it. It completes installation and I get the HFS+ partition error. I did make the partition primary and also ensured that the id is af. I tried this more than five time with XP and then Vista for the past three days. Can anyone please help.

Regards,

AD

I had the exact same problem with my notebook which is a turion 64 x2. The problem is with the NVidia chipset (mine is mcp51 i believe). I think i'm using the same dvd as you. If this is your chipset (or some other nforce with a sata hard drive), you need to download the updated driver and inject it into the dvd image for the install to use it.

What I did was I downloaded the driver that MeDevil made in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...71&hl=mcp51

If you still have the ISO for your install DVD then that's the best, otherwise you may have to re-rip your image.

Follow the instructions here to inject the driver:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67713

After this, your drive should be recognized (if you have a different chipset, do a search through the drivers forum for an updated driver to inject.)

AFIAK you need to do it from OS X (because the commands you need are in os x only).

Or, if you have someone that could do it for you ;)

...and i can't because i'm still fighting other issues with my install.

AFIAK you need to do it from OS X (because the commands you need are in os x only).

Or, if you have someone that could do it for you ;)

...and i can't because i'm still fighting other issues with my install.

Thanks for your response Corey. I have now given up on doing this. A response to another post of mine states that a lot of devices don't work in the specific laptop I own. I hope to be support in the future version on Mac on x86. But thanks for the insights, if I get pumped up sometime again (which could be very soon) I will learn how to the same and execute it myself. I can an OS X version thru VM Ware, so I cna get access to the same!

Warm Regards,

AD

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I'm afraid you posted this a long time ago and the question may be answered already, or else you gave up...

The answer to your problem is that you have a SATA drive. This is a known issue with 0Sx86 "distros" and can be fixed rather easily. Leopard really does not like an all-SATA system. It will not let the installer proceed unless you have at least ONE IDE hard drive and ONE IDE CD/DVD drive. This is kind of a silly glitch, but if you add these two devices, the installation should proceed....leading you to your next problem....which will only be followed by another and another. This is not a bullet-proof procedure yet, at least for the AMD users.

So, add these two devices, and you should be good to go!

O yeah, and buy the way, "supposedly" even if you do not run the installation DVD off the IDE drive, it should work fine...same applies to the destination drive, you are supposed to be able to install to a SATA drive, you just need to have an IDE drive present on the system for the installer to continue.

good luck

d