Boot issues after KALYWAY install

Jynx

17 posts in this topic

So I burned KALYWAY, booted the CD and installed just fine (NO EFI).

I can *NOT* boot into the system though.

I tried EasyBCD as well as simply setting that hard drive as the 1st in the boot priority list.

I don't get it, expecially after setting that drive as the 1st boot.

So in a moment of frustration I installed Acronis boot loader. Acronis wouldnt even read that drive, kept giving read sector errors.

I've formated the drive, reinstally KALYWAY, checked the drive for errors..etc

SATA Disk1

Partition 1 : Vista

Partition 2 : Programs

Partition 3 : Misc stuff

SATA Disk2

Partion 1 : OSX

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Partition your HD and select MBR, then when you are in the custom, deselect EFI_GUID and pick EFI_MBR. If you need more instructions then PM me. I can give you install instruction

I guess I didn't state that I did MBR and not GUID. But as I said, "without EFI".

I guess I have a similar problem. I partitioned as MBR, picked the MBR boot from the Kalyway installation options, but my computer still won't boot without the Leopard DVD. If I boot off the CD, but press no buttons, it loads my install just fine, no Kernel panics (even System updates work fine without crashes).

I've tried the -s at startup, fdisk - /dev/rdiskx, update, flag 1, w, q, reboot. That did nothing. I tried GParted. I tried rebuilding the MBR. All to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I may have to try a different release, I don't know. I've never had this problem before with this exact same system. What is the command to boot the partition from the CD?

You don't even have to use a command. If it's Kalyway's release, just stick the DVD in and boot from it, when it asks you to press any key or F8 for more options, just let the timer tick down and it should boot from your OS X partition if it can find it.

I'm going to check my SATA settings in my BIOS, maybe something's goofy there. Although, XP boots fine with the settings as I have them so it may not be a BIOS issue either.

Well it seems like the only way OSX boots up is if I install using the Flat image (which I can't re size) and then use EasyBCD.

But if I want to use iatkos or kalyway and install to a separate drive then I cannot boot it using Acronis, Grub, EasyBCD or even the install cd itself!

Oddly enough even setting that hard drive as the first in the boot priority doesn't work.

Add me to the ever-growing list of users who can't boot without the Kalyway disk in the drive, if you guys find a fix please please please get in touch.

I've tried renaming my HD to a "one word" title (no luck), I've tried the fdisk fix, still no luck, I've tried Hirens Boot CD 9.3 (there was no second page to any menu), the Gparted disk (I couldn't even work that thing out), I'm obviously a noob to this.

This thing is tearing my hair out, there must be a way!!!

The only thing that worked for me was removing all my harddrives but the ones I used for OSX. And even then I had to use the Kalyway DVD to book the OS I installed. If I removed it, it just went to a blinking cursor.

If I keep the drive set as Disk2 and attempt to boot w/ the DVD.. I get read errors. If I attempt to Boot using EasyBCD I get Chain0 errors.

HI PLEASE CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO INSTALL THE LEOPARD KALYWAY STEP BY STEP BECAUSE IM NEW TO WINDOWS AND PLEASE I NEED A CONSICE ONE AND 100% TESTED AND ALSO IN ORDER NOT TO LOOSE MY DATA, ALSO I NEED THE APPROPRIATE DRIVERS FOR NETWORK,SOUND,VGA

THANKS FOR THE HELP IF ANY

NOTEBOOK ASUS W6F

PLESEEEEEEEE HELLLLLLLPPPPP

I fixed the problem of Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard not booting without the DVD in the drive by installing Kalyway 10.4.10 to an MBR partitioned drive, then rebooting with the 10.5.1 DVD, formatting the partition and then installing 10.5.1 as normal.

I went ahead and tried this. I installed 10.4.10 and it booted great, no issues. Then I booted with the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD, formated the partition I made under 10.4.10 and installed 10.5.1. I still could not boot into 10.5.1 without the DVD.

I went ahead and tried this. I installed 10.4.10 and it booted great, no issues. Then I booted with the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD, formated the partition I made under 10.4.10 and installed 10.5.1. I still could not boot into 10.5.1 without the DVD.

I tried this too, no luck for me either I'm afraid :)

I figured out my boot problem. Disk Utility was creating Logical partitions (ie, a type of partition that isn't supposed to have an OS on it) as opposed to Primary partitions (ie, the type of partition that is :-p)

What I did:

1. Partitioned my HD into two halves with Disk Utility as MBR (since I want Windows/Mac dual boot).

2. Booted to Hiren's boot CD, went to the partition tools (I think I picked Acronis?).

3. Formated the partition I planned on using for OSx86 and set it as a Primary type partition.

4. Booted to OSx86 DVD, opened up Disk Utility, and erased the second partition (picked Mac OS Journaled).

5. Installed OSx86 to newly formatted partition.

6. OS X booted properly without the DVD in the Drive.

Well I installed MediaFours MacDrive under windows. Formated the drive, made it a primary..etc. This time however instead of just booting to a blinking cursor and sitting.. It booted to a blinking cursor..sat...then booted Windows! Arg.

Ok I got a hold of Hirens boot cd. So I'm trying to do what you did. Kalyway 10.5.1 is installing now. We'll see what happens.

Update 1: Well thats a no go. Just sits at post with flashing cursor still.

Update 2: Ok so i disconnected all the drives. Right now the only thing connected is my 1 SATA drive and my IDE DVD Reader. Installed. Rebooted.. Boots to flashing cursor. I know EFI works because it boots with the CD just fine. I can't think of what else to do short of using an IDE drive instead and see if thats the problem but I can't imagine while since all previous OSX86 versions work just fine and the Installable from windows Leopard Flat image works fine too.