Windows XP 32-Bit + EFI

agrafuese

10 posts in this topic

I've already been reading that WinXP 32-bit cannot be booted from an EFI/GUID system. (oops nevermind, see SMF's post below!) So I was thinking about trying out either WinXP 64-bit or Vista 64-bit. However, just out of curiosity, I did try to install WinXP 32-bit to see what would happen. When I got to the point where I had to install EFI via terminal, I used the following commands (taken from http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=71):

cd /volumes/efi/pc_efi_v80

umount -f /dev/disk0s3

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s3 ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3 bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

Everything worked fine for me up until that last line (the boot0 one), at which point terminal gave me an error saying, "Resource busy". My question is: is this just because I was trying to do it with WinXP 32 or is this some other kind of error? The reason I want to know is because I don't want to go through the trouble of getting ahold of a 64-bit Windows OS and then having the same error. I just want to make sure there isn't something else I need to know before trying that out.

Thanks!

-agra

Well, to be honest, I am a total noob at terminal commands. Basically, I typed in everything you see in my first post ^^ up there in the code box. I typed it all in that order and after the last line, it gave me the error. I assumed the drive was unmounted because of the "umount -f /dev/disk0s3" command, but perhaps there is another drive I need to have unmounted? I have no clue :) If that's the case, I think someone needs to contact the original author of the guide I followed and tell him he's missing some code :) Any ideas for me? What exactly would I unmount that I didn't already unmount? Should I just unmount everything like a madman and see if that works? hahaha.

@STLVNUB: Hey thanks, I'll give that a try.

@Superhai: Does the version of Vista need to be 64-bit? I've read that, and also read that Windows XP 64-bit will work too, but still not sure which way I'll go, as I'm not sure which has better compatibility with drivers/apps :/

XP 64 bit will work, but you'll need an itanium cpu in which OSX dont run...

Microsoft does not say anything about which version of vista, but you'll need the x64 running efi environment to load the os, so i would guess so...

i do hope you know what you do, if you are overwriting the boot sector of your windows partition it will not boot and you will to have it recovered.

XP 64 bit will work, but you'll need an itanium cpu in which OSX dont run...

Microsoft does not say anything about which version of vista, but you'll need the x64 running efi environment to load the os, so i would guess so...

i do hope you know what you do, if you are overwriting the boot sector of your windows partition it will not boot and you will to have it recovered.

Vista 32-Bit will work

Guys,

Superhai - that's not true. EFI has nothing to do with dual booting with XP or Vista. GUID does.

XP 32 will work dual boot with Mac OS X on a MBR drive without much trouble at all whether you use EFI or not. I know - I've done it and am currently booting XP32, Leo, and Tiger on one MBR formated drive and using EFI for both Tiger and Leo with vanilla kernels.

If you want to go GUID then i've been able to get it to work with XP in the 4th partition (counting the GUID protected partition as partition 1). EFI has nothing to do with dual booting with XP. GUID complicates it for XP 32 bit since you need a hybrid GPT/MBR patition table.

Here's how you can do it -

Use diskutility to partition your drive GUID (if you want - I still believe the best bet for XP/OS X is MBR).

Create at least 3 partitions - i've used HFS+ first, then two FAT partitions. You can put more HFS or FAT partitions after the 2nd FAT partition but XP will not see them.

Install XP to the 2nd FAT partition

Install OS X

Use Darwin to boot OS X or XP.

You can also use the chain load method if you want to use the XP boot manager.

Enjoy.

SMF

@SMF: That's very interesting - you know, I had a feeling that EFI would work with MBR formatted drives because the official wikipedia article on GUID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table) says that it is built to run MBR for legacy purposes. Guess that applies for us hackintoshers too ;) Good news for me - now I don't have to worry about getting a 64-bit Windows OS :D

PS: thanks SMF, i just edited my original post accordingly to your knowledge :)