Post installation problems Kalyway / iATKOS - you receive blank black screen with sounds (not blinking cursor)

redash

23 posts in this topic

Symptom:

you have just successfully installed 10.5.1 smoothly - (choosing Customize and going through different options / efi mbr / vanilla keranl etc)

leopard installs 100% - then asks to reboot

.....then you get a blank black screen and possibly audio (providing you selected Azalia output) - including the voice over quick start. There are no kernal panics.

Nothing out of the ordinary in verbose mode (-v).

you try with -x -legacy -f -v / no joy black screen.

you try cpus=1 / same problem.

you check the bios settings / single core all the rest....no problem.

you try reinstalling from DVD several times with all specific graphics drivers (either nvidia / ati) and try without any graphics drivers- but still no joy.

you try a different dvd iATKOS / Kalyway / re-formatting drive HFS journal / different drives - problem persists.

still getting a black screen. no "blinking cursor" - just black as described by others in other threads.

NB. this laptop I'm using has an ATI mobility graphics card x1300 on a clean install.

If your system boots up fine with -legacy -x (safe mode) switches, ignore this thread - this is not for you.

After spending some time troubleshooting this issue I would like to post some findings / work arounds for noobs.

The system should be able to boot using a basic graphics mode by ripping out the kernal extensions for ATI / NVIDIA.

1. press f8 at boot menu then bring up the terminal by -s

boot:-s (make sure your not booting off your dvd drive)

2. now we make the drive read/write mode to avoid read -only errors

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

sometimes sudo -s is used to manipulate system but after clean install there's no password issued

3. change directory to /System/Library/Extensions

cd System

cd Libary

cd Extensions

(USEFUL TIP you can type the first letters( case sensitive eg. Sy) then press tab to navigate terminal faster.

4. ok now we remove the default ATI / NVIDIA / Nvinject are installed regardless of whether or not these are selected.

rm -rf NV*.*

(NvHALVxxx/ NVRESMAN / etc.

5. rm -rf Natit.kext

6. rm -rf GeFo*.*

(all the geforce stuff.

7. rm -rf ATI*.*

N.B. if you are getting read only errors goto step 2!

now we clear the cache so those drivers can't get loaded when we boot next time.

cd..

rm -rf Extensions.mkext

8. reboot

9. F8

10. boot now with

-x -legacy -v

Still black screen?

boot up again in terminal - check the Extensions directory listing and make sure your files are really deleted - I noticed them reappearing in the directory. not sure how that works. if you get kernal panics check the other threads - otherwise you should finally get the Welcome screen up.

If you get Welcome screen loops it is a problem with Ethernet card /kext. check other threads

Observerations.

I'm pretty sure that in both of the installs iATKOS /KALYWAY 10.5.1 there are NV*.* kext remnants regardless of whether you choose the graphics drivers or not. As I definitately didn't choose nvidia during install because my laptop has an ATI card x1300.

• 1 month later...

Hi...

I just wanted to thank you for this fantastic post.

I am a total noob to the Hackintosh and am spending a lot of time on this site reading and learning. After installing 10.5.1 I got the blank screen. As I learn about kexts and installing them, I needed at least a partially working OSX.

This post really helped! I am able to boot in and start messing around.

Thanks again!

My specs:

Asus P5B deluxe WiFi board

Saphire X1300 PCIe

• 1 month later...

seriously dude..

that post just made my day :censored2:

i am now almost where i am going to install 10.5.2 and i am the happiest hackintosh user out there atm..

works so much faster than f#$% vista... unbelievable on my dell xps m1530!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I followed your instructions and found I was one of the lucky ones to have the files re-apear on reboot after I had deleted them and confirmed deletion... How do I force permanent deletion of these files?

Thanks for the post, it's certainly given me hope :P

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried iatkos 5i and I had this problem. Even after I powered off my xps 410 I got a black sreen and monitor would go into screen saver mode all the time. Is that exactly what we type? Including the N*.*? Or do I have to know the names? It was either this black screen or a no root device after the install even after I switched Raid On to Raid/ATA in bios.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
seriously dude..

that post just made my day :P

i am now almost where i am going to install 10.5.2 and i am the happiest hackintosh user out there atm..

works so much faster than f#$% vista... unbelievable on my dell xps m1530!

Hi there, excuse me I have an XPS m1330 and still no luck at the boot, I successfully installed the iAtkos v5, even got the success message after the instalation, but when I reboot I got a blue screen and then just a black one, nothing happens. Tried the posted solution but couldn't make it work...

U think you can show me what options you checked when you first installed the os? My specs are:

Core 2 duo 1.8GHz

Intel GMA 965 - X3100 graphics chipset

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

When i go to terminal it says ":/ root#" I think its asking for my root password, i do not know for sure, if it is i have not set one. Does anyone know how to fix this? When i type nothing shows up, this is why i think its askin for a password in other words hiding the text. If anyone can help please do!

• 2 months later...

iATKOS v5i

mmk so I got into single user mode. (-s) and at ROOT I typed

" /sbin/fskc -fy "

so its does a system check and says SYSTEM HAS BEEN MODIFIED.

so then I type

" /sbin/mount -uw / "

which seems to do nothing...so I continue with

" /System/Library/Extensions "

and it says /System/Library/Extensions: is a directory. So I figure SOMETHING is going right... so I'll keep goin.

" cd System "

" cd Library "

" cd Extensions "

at this point ROOT has changed to Extensions? w/e

so I continue:

" rm -rf NV*.* "

" rm -rf Natit.kext "

" rm -rf GeFo*.* "

" rm -rf ATI*.* " (all of which appearing to do NOTHING)

Here is where it gets a little fishy for me.

Where I am suppose to type " cd " it says something like

" cd HOME is not set " in response

following the rest of the directions from here does NOTHING, as the system STILL blinks blue and then goes black indefinitely.

ANYONE? :D

Here is the code the appears for a split second at the end of a (-v) boot:

"

localhost mDNSResponder[25]: WARNING: sandbox_init error Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.bsddirhelper err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.distributed_notifications.2 err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.ocspd err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.mDNSResponder err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SecurityServer err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SystemConfiguartion.configd or

"

Here is a video of my entire CURRENT failing boot:

iATKOS v5i

mmk so I got into single user mode. (-s) and at ROOT I typed

" /sbin/fskc -fy "

so its does a system check and says SYSTEM HAS BEEN MODIFIED.

so then I type

" /sbin/mount -uw / "

which seems to do nothing...so I continue with

" /System/Library/Extensions "

and it says /System/Library/Extensions: is a directory. So I figure SOMETHING is going right... so I'll keep goin.

" cd System "

" cd Library "

" cd Extensions "

at this point ROOT has changed to Extensions? w/e

so I continue:

" rm -rf NV*.* "

" rm -rf Natit.kext "

" rm -rf GeFo*.* "

" rm -rf ATI*.* " (all of which appearing to do NOTHING)

Here is where it gets a little fishy for me.

Where I am suppose to type " cd " it says something like

" cd HOME is not set " in response

following the rest of the directions from here does NOTHING, as the system STILL blinks blue and then goes black indefinitely.

ANYONE? :)

Here is the code the appears for a split second at the end of a (-v) boot:

"

localhost mDNSResponder[25]: WARNING: sandbox_init error Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.bsddirhelper err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.distributed_notifications.2 err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.ocspd err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.mDNSResponder err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SecurityServer err=1100Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SystemConfiguartion.configd or

"

Here is a video of my entire CURRENT failing boot:

Boot with -s and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by pressing Enter and then wait for ":/ root#" to re-appear.....after typing exit booting should continue....

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -rf Ge*.kext
rm -rf NV*.kext
rm -rf Natit.kext
rm -rf ATI*.kext
exit

Boot with -s and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by pressing Enter and then wait for ":/ root#" to re-appear.....after typing exit booting should continue....

mount -uw /
rm -rf Ge*.kext
rm -rf NV*.kext
  rm -rf Natit.kext
  rm -rf ATI*.kext
  exit

Thank you VERY much for your reply:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n68/Whi...LY/102_0450.jpg

I am 100% sure that I have done all of the above steps correctly. Unfortunately

it still goes blue for a split second then to black. I did notice however, that if I connect

an external monitor, I get a GRAY screen WITH a cursor...but ONLY if I boot with -x

Good or Bad? Any fix for that? ;)

• 2 months later...

People who still have the black screen problem, I had the same problem in my inspiron 1520 laptop but I finally solved it. In addition to steps described in this post I've also did this:

1. cd System/Library/Extensions
  2. rm -rf AppleIntelGMA*.*

I hope it helps you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

mount -uw /
 rm -rf Ge*.kext
 rm -rf NV*.kext
rm -rf Natit.kext
rm -rf ATI*.kext
exit

Any suggestions if my keyboard refuses to respond at the prompt ":/ root#" ?

I have been battling with installing iATKOS v7 for a while now. Reading every post I can find, especially those with the same hardware as I do. And still I can't get a working Mac OS. Attempting different initial installs I've achieved the following results but never reached the "Welcome" screen.

1. Blue screen, than black which hangs FOREVER

2. Gray Apple logo

I've tried the Vanilla kernel, both Voodoos. Different VGA drivers, chipsets, etc. The best I can achieve are the two instances above. As far as I have read all my hardware is compatible. If anyone has any suggestions I would LOVE to hear it. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.

Hardware:

MOBO:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor

RAM:

CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

VIDEO:

EVGA 256-P2-N554-AX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card

PSU:

BFG Tech BFGR800WPSU 800W ATX 12V Ver.2.2/ EPS 12V Ver.2.91 SLI Ready Power Supply

HDD:

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive(2)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LCD:

BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor (2)

XP SP3

Ubuntu 9.10

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...