A couple post install Leopard querks.

mawsoccer

13 posts in this topic

Okay, so I installed using a retail Leopard DVD and BrazilMac's tutorial. I had Leopard installed and working on my PC within days after Leopard came out. Now I'm running into a couple problems though.

1. Adobe programs crash immediately when they attempt to startup. (I just ran Adobe Updater to get all updates today but that did not fix the problem.)

2. My case's top USB ports do not work. (TT Armor - Mobo is P5B Deluxe)

3. Whats the easiest way to install the new OSX updates (10.5.1 and 10.5.2) without having to reinstall everything on my PC.

I dual boot Vista and OSX and I finally got that working smoothly with the Chain0 method, so I am very reluctant to mess with any of the updates right now but if you can tell me a quick and easy solution, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this post won't need too many bumps.

1. Don't know why, I'm not using adobe stuff right now.

2. My mobo is p5b deluxe, the front usbs are woking. I've installed the iATKOS image.

3. If you installed using the efi bootloader, if I'm not wrong you can update using update manager, just as a normal mac computer, as you use vanilla kernel. If you used other kernel options, than you should wait for the packs they release on torrent sites, preferably from the same "distributor" of the iso you used to install.

For the Adobe part, I had to install the AppleSMBIOS.kext from netkas. It's been a while since I got mine, but I believe it's the first one posted on the following link:

http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/archive/20...xed-smbios.html

Hope that helps! I was really worked up about not having CS3, especially since I had just done a complete reinstall due to Adobes {censored} policy of not supporting case-sensitive filesystems, so here's to hoping you'll get it up and running right away, without all the aggravation.

hmm... I have a dual boot setup with vista, but it has to be 64-bit vista. Also, I installed vista after installing efi. You can install efi after installing OS X, but I'm not sure about Vista.

So i don't know. I can't in good faith tell you to install it because I don't know if it will screw up your vista install.

http://rapidshare.com/files/75234066/EFI_Pack.zip.html is pc_efi version 8.

here is the thread that I used to dual boot with pc_efi. You can probably get help from more knowledgeable people there: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

I tried that AppleSMBIOS that you posted and OSX still booted but it got stuck at the blank blue screen and wouldn't load my desktop.

Using Windows and MacDrive, I replaced the SMBIOS with my original one and now everything loads properly again, but Adobe still doesn't open.

Should I have replaced the SMBIOS in OSX or in Windows using MacDrive?

Also, If I install PC EFI can I use boot camp and use 32bit Vista?

And just to clarify, you can install PC EFI after OSX is already installed?

Do I still have to use a patched DVD if I install PC EFI first?

I tried that AppleSMBIOS that you posted and OSX still booted but it got stuck at the blank blue screen and wouldn't load my desktop.

Sounds like something's preventing loginwindow.app from loading in your case. Booting verbose might be able to solve the issue.

Using Windows and MacDrive, I replaced the SMBIOS with my original one and now everything loads properly again, but Adobe still doesn't open.

Should I have replaced the SMBIOS in OSX or in Windows using MacDrive?

I booted up in single user mode (press f8 at the boot loader and boot with -s) and replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext with the one from netkas. Make sure it's owned by root and has the right permissions (chown -R root:wheel AppleSMBIOS.kext & chmod -R 755 AppleSMBIOS.kext). I'd imagine "diskutil repairPermissions" would do the same thing, but I haven't gotten the hang of the Darwin-specific ways yet). It'd also be a good idea to boot in verbose mode (-v at the boot loader) once you've replaced the kext, so you'll know what's preventing the system from booting if something goes wrong.

Also, If I install PC EFI can I use boot camp and use 32bit Vista?

No idea

And just to clarify, you can install PC EFI after OSX is already installed?

Do I still have to use a patched DVD if I install PC EFI first?

Regarding EFI and patched DVD, you would be able to do an install from the Retail DVD after installing EFI, but you'd still have to boot with dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext from one of the patched ones. Not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Where should I place the AppleSMBIOS from NEKTAS to ensure that I can replace the other one easily?

If I remember correctly, my single user mode is screwy. I'm not sure if it will even let me do that.

Last time I tried single user mode, it kept putting up some random error and I couldn't type anything because it would have the next line up before I could finish typing.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Well, anywhere you'll remember on your root partition would suffice, /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext.new would simplify things. Just boot up in single user mode, fsck if neccesary, and mount your drives (as per the instructions you'll get when booting up in single user mode), then just type the following:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mv AppleSMBIOS.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext.old

mv AppleSMBIOS.kext.new AppleSMBIOS.kext

chown -R root:wheel AppleSMBIOS.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleSMBIOS.kext

diskutil repairPermissions /

exit

and you should boot up fine, if not, a reboot might be in order as I don't remember if AppleSMBIOS.kext is loaded pre single-user-mode.

If you're still not able to get into single user mode, try and post the error message, and I'll see if it's anything I can sort out.

Best of luck!

if you get that error, finish typing the line. even if you get that error 3 or 4 times while typing one line, it will still work.

If that error is regarding HPET, and your mobo supports it, enable HPET 64-bit in BIOS options.