Update locked me up

w3weasel

4 posts in this topic

I allowed software update to run, but omitted the security update... thinking that updating iTunes, GarageBand, and FinalCut would be harmless.

I have been using this hackintosh for about 2 weeks now. Install went ok, I've had problems with it refusing to recognize USB devices or fully shutdown on its own. Sometimes when I quit an app, the process will disappear from the task monitor, but the icon will still show active in the Dock and in the AppSwitcher...

So I let this update install, and upon reboot I am presented with the Setup Assistant (where do you live, how will you use this computer... etc.). Upon completing the Setup Assistant, the window and menu bar fade, i hear a little scrubbing on the hard drive, and then I get a brand-new, fully blank Setup Assistant. The Setup Assistant never completes and I cannot even pull up a terminal.

I tried re-running the 9a581 post-patch to no avail.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I have a large video project on that drive and would be ruined if it had to be reformatted for a fresh go.

Try this: Disable or unplug your network card.

i'm using the exact components that were suggested in the lifehacker article:

(http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800-321913.php)

There is no seperate network card, i disconnected the Cat5 from the built-in Ethernet but no change.

The Setup Assistant just relaunches itself as soon as I complete it.

I allowed software update to run,....

Had the same problem this did it for me.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306998

1. Start up with a "Safe Boot"
  2. When the login window appears, do not attempt to log in. Instead, click the Restart button located at the bottom of the login window and let the computer restart normally. (If the Restart button is not displayed, click the Back button, then click the Restart button.)

After this the installation of the updates continues and after a reboot you got an updated system