Having backed up everything to one hard drive, that hard drive died.

4 posts in this topic

My Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 just died on me. I am hoping that replacing the printed circuit board on its base with one from an identical hard drive will help me rescue the data. Has anyone tried this and does anyone know the size of Torx screwdriver needed? I ran the hard drive from an enclosure, which I find is working fine when I put other hard drives in it. If the motor died, I guess I'm screwed. I would imagine moving platers from one hard drive to another is next to impossible?

... if it's not impossible... what tools do I need!

It might be T8 or T9. Replacing boards has never worked for me, except once in a raid 5 system (for fun, identical batch of 100gb drives). I also have a dead diamondmax 9 drive :D

Does it spin up? Weird noises (constant seek ticks?). Can you see it in BIOS at all? If it still spins up, and you have tried swapping boards, freeze it for 2 hours and quickly restore what you need off of it. Sometimes the freezing trick works, about 3 out of 10 times. If your home is too humid, it will condense too much, and I advise against the freezing trick.

Swapping platters is nearly impossible in a home situation, you need perfect alignment. If the data is really important, I use ecodatarecovery.com .

It might be T8 or T9. Replacing boards has never worked for me, except once in a raid 5 system (for fun, identical batch of 100gb drives). I also have a dead diamondmax 9 drive :(

Does it spin up? Weird noises (constant seek ticks?). Can you see it in BIOS at all? If it still spins up, and you have tried swapping boards, freeze it for 2 hours and quickly restore what you need off of it. Sometimes the freezing trick works, about 3 out of 10 times. If your home is too humid, it will condense too much, and I advise against the freezing trick.

Swapping platters is nearly impossible in a home situation, you need perfect alignment. If the data is really important, I use ecodatarecovery.com .

Hi there, thank you for your response. :D I had forgotten reading about the freezing trick!

All I get from the enclosure is a blinking green light. I hope the motor still works. I nudged the mains lead at the back and thought the hard drive had simply become disconnected. Reseating the plug I found the hard drive was dead. I'm not sure I do have another 160gig model, might have to buy one on ebay. The annoying thing is I was desperate to get all of my data together on one drive... formatted a bunch of drives that I took the data off, binned some DVDs. As soon as I had backed everything up I intended to backup said drive. Life sure does have a sense of humor. Glad I could oblige.

Okay, for those who google searched this one like I did and didn't find an answer... The answer to my question is a TX-9. A TX-8 might fit said Maxtor but I suspect it would be too loose a fit. TX-10 is certainly too big. I bought a ten piece set from a branch of Poundsavers for £3.99, which is very much cheaper than Maplin. The board lifts off quite easily, bar a bit of stickiness from the foam pad. As of yet I don't have a swap over board but will keep you posted.