10.4.8 not booting(stuck at gray screen) :(

cnstarz

5 posts in this topic

I'm brand new to OS X and thought i would give this a try. What's happening is I can install fine, but it wont boot up. It gets stuck at the Gray Screen with the Apple Logo. The spinning thing...spins a the bottom, and after about 2 minutes, another pic will pop up; its a Circle with a "/" going thru it. Like a no-smoking sign, but without the cigarette.

My setup:

Asus a8n-sli deluxe

amd x2 4400+

2gb Corsair Value Select

Nvidia 8800gtx Gfx card

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

Dual Booting with Windows Media Center(essentialy XP Pro)

I burned the iso to dvd with MagicISO, and formatted my second Sata drive to Fat32 Logical(using Acronis Disk Director Suite). Once booted off the DVD, I partitioned the hard drive to OS X Extended (Journaled). I checked the Following things:

Essential System Software

Additional Fonts

X11

JAS AMD 10.4.8(or whatever that option was called)

And I think that was it. Installation went fine, in about 20 minutes. Then it restarted and now it gets stuck at the gray screen. There was a thread I looked up somewhere on these boards where people post their setups and whether they got Mac OS X to install fine, and it had a couple ppl with the same mobo as me and theirs worked fine. Sorry if this scenario has been answered a million times before. I've searched on these forums and haven't found anything yet. ;)

Hi!I have the same problem. My machine is:ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MoBoAMD X2 6000+4GB RAMI have installed JAS AMD 10.4.8 Tiger, instalation ran fine. After instalation systemhas rebooted and then, start had failed! There is a windows with informationthat system has crashed and I should reboot!I don´t know what to do :-(((Please help!I forget my graphics is ASUS Nvidia 8600GT 512MB

• 7 months later...

I also have the same problem, "no smoking" on the apple gray boot screen with continuously spiny-thing still being animated.

I am running this on an older XPS Gen2 Laptop with a 915 chipset, 6800Ultra, JaS 10.5.4 new release.

No idea what that "No smoking sign" is, maybe we should make a dedicated thread to that!

Help Please!

EDIT:

I am using the latest JAS release.

It could have something to do with the nvidia cards you guys have.

Series 5, 6 and 7 nvidia graphics cards were supported by Tiger, the newer 8 series 8xxx cards need special drivers and can only be used well on the Leopard releases. Try the JaS Leopard release you might end up with a big smile on your faces!