install help

Sp00n

12 posts in this topic

got a query regarding the iatkos disc.

i've booted up on the disc, created a partition on my new drive and set off the install which looked like it went fine but then when it finished it went to a conole with some crash errors, then it shutdown.

so i turned it back on and removed the dvd expecting it to boot but it hngs just at the point where it would normally boot and does nothing.

specs are;

amd 3800+

1gb ddr2

250gb sata in ahci mode and formatted in mac os extension journaled

sata dvdrw tsscorp

ati 2600xt

currently trying a reinstall with dvd on sata1 and hdd on sata2 but was wondering if anyone has had this happen before?

tis a shame cause it looked to be going o well :)(

third and fourth install both hanging right at the end of the installation on the "installing" screen with "about a minute" remaining.

If i leave it alone then the progress bar continues to "shimmer" but if i then try and access anything from the toolbar at the top then it all just completley hangs except for the mouse but you cannot select anything and the progress bar stops alltogether.

help ;)

Motherboard is a MSI-k9agm2 with the sb600 chipset, Bios is 1.5 (latest version).

Ok now i have reinstalled yet again using the MBR this time instead of GUID, this now completes through the install and shuts down the pc at the end (would of thought it should restart, no?).

Now when i reboot the pc without the dvd in it sits at a cursor prompt then does nothing.

However, if i restart again and leave the cd in but i dont push any buttons to set the install off, it appears to boot from the hard drive and loads something however what it loads is a bit strange.

It's a black screen with a random pattern on it, i can see the hard drive loading in the background but nothing on the screen changes so now i am thinking i dont have any graphic drivers installed? Could that happen even though the installer showed up fine?

Then if i push the power button i get a screen with loads of artifacts on it so i'm assuming its some kind of shutting down screen but doesnt actually power down.

Do i need to add additional drivers for my 2600xt with the iatkos dvd / How do i get it to boot without needing the dvd in?!?!?!

I think im missing some stuff from this iso because when i select the packages to install i only get the basic mac ones plus "nvidia drivers 8800 series" and thats it, no efi, no bootloader, no additional drivers of any kind.

I booted up with -x

Is this the root of my problem? Have i downloaded an old iso?

Surely someone could at least answer the question about whether i have the right dvd or not!?

I have one iatkos images which is 2.44gb and anotehr one which is 4.5gb, both from torrent.

Is there anywhere else i can get it?

If the drive doesnt load without the disc inserted then the drive was not correctly set to bootable at the end of the installation. Boot back with the disc with -s and see if you can get to the prompt. Then you can try correcting the boot issue. There are plenty of tutorials on setting it to boot. I used this one !!!

OK cool, what about installing my radeon drivers? It would appear i have the Zephyroth release with only the 8800 included. Can i install from the terminal on the dvd drive because i get a scrambled screen?

Also some of the kext tutorials mention passwords, but i haven't set anything, i can only assume its one of the first things you do after the install so how would i go about doing the driver without knowing any passwords? Are there defaults?

Once you get it up and running on your hard drive it will have you setup a password. As far as getting it to boot, you can try setting the resolution manually.

once darwin starts choose startup options and type:

-x "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

Once you get through the installation you will need to get the proper ati.kext.

Once you find it there are typically instructions on how to go about installing it properly.