Two partitions on external hard drive?

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a Western Digital MyBook Digital Essential 500GB external hard drive that is formatted as NTFS. I was wondering if I could create a new HFS+ partition on it for around 100GB so that I can have 1 partition for my data transferred on my Windows system and another partition for data to be transferred from my Leopard system.

Would this be possible and would it be 100% safe? as I have very important data on this external hard drive.

Thanks

You could just load Paragon's NTFS software to access the drive in NTFS mode, i've been running it now for 4 months and it has been very stable!

that way you only have one partition and you can still use ALL of it in the "real world"! :(

SticMAN

Thanks, that software looks great.

EDIT: I just want to ask another question. How do i change the icon on my External hard drive? I go to Get Info and I have the image I want copied. I select the image and then paste but I just get a ICNS logo instead of the MyBook logo. it works properly on a folder but not this. What can I do?

If by the "ICNS logo" you mean the one that looks like a apps logo with the pen, pencil and rules, it only means that the icon you used to replace the old one with is not compatible! You get various types: folder icons, desktop icons, app icons, you should look for what works, or use a program that does it for you! I use "Micon" it does most of what I want it to!

SticMAN

Thanks, that software looks great.

EDIT: I just want to ask another question. How do i change the icon on my External hard drive? I go to Get Info and I have the image I want copied. I select the image and then paste but I just get a ICNS logo instead of the MyBook logo. it works properly on a folder but not this. What can I do?