10.5.1 iATKOS on Dell vostro 1500. success story

steenamaroo

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,,,

i'm new here, but i thought the least i could do was register and say thanks for all the help i've recieved on this forum.

i've been using JAS 10.4.8 for a good while now, but recently changed to leopard on my desktop

ASROCK conroe

2.4ghz core2duo

4gb ddr667

onboard graphics intel

but the point of this thread is i recently bought a dell vostro 1500 with the following upgrades

2.2ghz core2duo

2x2gb ddr667

nvidia 8600gt

broadcom ethernet

intel 3945a/b/g wlan

I just thought i'd post up that i had a partiton with xp, and a blank one for osx,

i booted from iATKOS DVD, followed standard procedure and used EFI bootloader.

(i did have trouble with panics at the start, but it seemed to be down to bios settings with usb legacy etc and/or the state the hdd was in(FS,partitions etc))

when i rebooted, it was dead (kermel panic about acpi?), which seems to be where most dell users have given up,

the acpi thing disappeared if i used safe boot (-x) and booted from the DVD (rd=disk0s2), no problems.

Graphics were 1024x768 locked, so i got the kexts for nvidia 8x00 from 10.5.2 (from this forum,thanks!)

rebooted, straight into leopard, without any switches or DVD assistance.

nvidia card fully detected and functional. havent yet tested svideo out or vga out but it seems to have detected all the spec of the card.

audio is sigmatel, and did require me to reinstall one of the patches which came with iATKOS and repair permissions,(cant remember which patch, but there only are what,,four?)

currently i can't mute, and the headphones work,,but dont mute speakers,,,,but to be honest i don't care.

touchpad works, to my standard anyway. after hours of searching for patches, i realised that u can just turn double click from pad on, in system prefs :( so tapping works.

Lan worked out of the box as it's broadcom from iATKOS disk, and firewire worked out of box too.

usb devices are recognised, as are firewire devices, and networking works on both ethernet and firewire.

DVD drive is fully functional,and all functions are listed in profiler.

ram and processor are fully detected, and both cores are working

Faults.

the SD card reader doesnt work and isnt detected, but i dont care, and dont plan to persue this.

Shutdown and restart do not work. the system shuts down, but there is still power to the laptop, and force shutdown is required.

this doesnt have any repercussions on the next boot,,so again, i dont really care.

Intel wlan 3945a/b/g does not work and is not detected, but from what i've gathered,,,this is like sis900 lan,,,in the sense that it aint gonna happen.

i've heard people complaining about sleep mode kickin in, even if you turn it off. i set sleep settings to never, and unchecked hdd sleep, and then locked the settings.

turned screen saver off too,, and she'll happily sit untouched for hours now.

anyway,,,when digidesign sort it out and give protools leopard support,,,this will be my audio machine, so for my purposes,,,this machine is perfect :)

thank you everyone, and i hope this can help other dell users.

i had problems with kalyway on a dell vostro 1500,

under advice on this forum, i tried iATKOS.

worked a charm. i've put a thread on here about it.

Well could you confirm that it works with both cores? I used kalyway and everything works (even sleep) except dual cores, is there a way to make the dual core funcion (working on iAtkos) working in Kalyway?

to be honest, i don't know enough to be speculating on how to fix your problem in kalyway, but on my iATKOS install, as above

"ram and processor are fully detected, and both cores are working"

every spec detail of the cpu ram and video card are there, as they should be, and everything fuctions as it should.

hope this helps.

I've installed iATKOS on my Vostro 1500 and I ran the AppleHDAPatcher 1.11 with a Sigmatel 9200 codec file provided in another thread, but sound still isn't working. Do you have any more details on how you got sound working?

I just installed the NVidia drivers this morning and the display looks so much better :)

i'm not 100% sure which driver ended up working, but i can tell you that i didn't use any patchers, or downloaded drivers.it was definitely one of the four that came with the iATKOS cd, and i'm fairly sure it was the one with "HD out" in the file name.the reason i'm not sure which one worked, is cos i installed them all as a trial and error thing, and didn't realise that i needed to repair permissions on the drive before they would work.as i said, the headphone output works,,,but doesnt mute the speakers. didnt bother me, but it might bother you. i have read about fixes for this, but can't offer any more info than that, sorry.hope that helps too.

glad your graphics worked out,,,,,does make a great difference.

btw, for all you intel wireless guys, i bought a replacement chip on ebay today for £15 all in. it's the dell 1390.(broadcom)they guy selling had eight left a few hours ago so check it out.from what he says, and what i've read, it should work straight off.

i'm not 100% sure which driver ended up working, but i can tell you that i didn't use any patchers, or downloaded drivers.it was definitely one of the four that came with the iATKOS cd, and i'm fairly sure it was the one with "HD out" in the file name.the reason i'm not sure which one worked, is cos i installed them all as a trial and error thing, and didn't realise that i needed to repair permissions on the drive before they would work.as i said, the headphone output works,,,but doesnt mute the speakers. didnt bother me, but it might bother you. i have read about fixes for this, but can't offer any more info than that, sorry.hope that helps too.

glad your graphics worked out,,,,,does make a great difference.

btw, for all you intel wireless guys, i bought a replacement chip on ebay today for £15 all in. it's the dell 1390.(broadcom)they guy selling had eight left a few hours ago so check it out.from what he says, and what i've read, it should work straight off.

Search for Sigmatel 9205 iatkos and you will be happy with cool sound. Post 83 is the one you need.

follow up,

recieved my dell 3190 (broadcom 4311) and it worked with a replacement io80211family.kext from another thread here.

i'm having trouble getting it to authorise any kind of encryption, but ultimately it's recognised under airport devices, and connected and working at 54mbps.

hey there!! i've got a vostro 1500 to!!

At the moment, i've got 3 partitions (XP, data, leopard).

Can you please give something of a guide how to work???

Just insert the dvd and install leopard on the 3th partition?

And how about booting back into windows?

thanks in advance!!!

I'm having trouble with acpi too. My vostro 1500 is a company computer so i'm running it on vmware to see if i want to install it on my desktop. I can't find any bios settings related to acpi and i keep getting the same acpi kernel panic. I'm trying both kalyway and iATKOS with no luck! Any help?

• 5 months later...

(replied via pm)

just to let vostro users know,,,,i can provide a bundle of working audio kexts with instructions for use.

i recently had to reinstall and i used leo4allv3,then added in my backup kexts for graphics and audio with no problems,

i have sigmatel 9205 and i get audio out, headphone out(automatic switching_), and line in.

i'm sorry, can you put in a link or something? <_<

(replied via pm)

just to let vostro users know,,,,i can provide a bundle of working audio kexts with instructions for use.

i recently had to reinstall and i used leo4allv3,then added in my backup kexts for graphics and audio with no problems,

i have sigmatel 9205 and i get audio out, headphone out(automatic switching_), and line in.

• 4 weeks later...