8800gts should I swap g80 for g92

4 posts in this topic

So I finished building my hackingtosh a week or two ago. I have everything working, as I should since I built my system specifically for this. I am dual booting with windows for the sole purpose of playing PC games (Crysis, Unreal, etc...). When I ordered my hardware I ordered a 640MB 8800gts (g80) because at the time it was one of the fastest cards that would work, and so far it has.

However, now I am seeing posts about 10.5.2 having drivers for the 512MB 8800gts (g92). My video card (evga) has a 90 day "step up program" where i just pay shipping and I can essentially swap my video card for the much faster g92 version. My question is that is it worth upgrading? If I were just using windows I would most certainly take advantage of this upgrade, however I am enjoying the stability of my system and am worried that these drivers are buggy (they are beta) if I can even get them working.

So from those of you with a g92 card already, how easy is it to upgrade to the new driver and once you do is it solid? Or should I give it a month or so and see how things develop before I do anything?

Thanks in advance

The 10.5.2 drivers are *very* buggy when I tried them. I also have a G80 8800GTS and when trying the 10.5.2 would experience crashes on any application which uses CoreImage (switching between spaces using F5, retouching in iphoto, etc).

Stick with the G80. The performance is so similar on both cards and the G80 is proving to be pretty solid on Hackintoshes.

G92 drivers are unstable for now in apps but it'll eventually get fixed with 10.5.2 since the new mac pro has those.

Going from the G80 640MB to G92 GT, I can assure you the G92 is a lot faster, not only in OSX OpenGL but in Windows.

Although, since the new Mac Pro uses a Quadro based on G80, G80 drivers in 10.5.2 are a lot better and faster but NOT as fast as a G92...

So it's up to you whether or not you wanna change your card :D