How does this build look?

5 posts in this topic

Putting together something of a power machine. I currently run a last gen Intel iMac, 2.16 20". The optical drive went out recently, and I didn't get Applecare, because I'm a doofus. eBay prices for them are still rather nice even despite broken drive issues, so I'm planning to sell it and use those funds to help pay for a hackintosh. Based on what I've seen people suggest using, here's what I've got so far:

• MB Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R P35 775 ATX Motherboard 956052 $159.99
  • CPU Intel Q6600 262473 $274.99
  • RAM OCZ 4GB 650929 $119.99 (rebate for $40.00)
  • GPU Diamond ATI 2600 Pro 793901 $159.99 (rebate for $30.00)
  • HD WD 500GB Sata 249177 $109.99
  • PSU/Case Antec Sonata III 556233 $99.99

Will probably buy it all from Microcenter for ease of returning if issues should arise, the SKU number for their site is on there as well if anyone wants to see the actual product. Won't do much for CPU and MB, but I'm less worried about those. In any case, ends up under a grand. I'm borrowing an old DVD drive and firewire card I have laying about. Does anyone see any issues I might have with this setup? I should mention I'd like to dual boot, thus the choice of graphics card. Probably will game a little, but nothing extravagant. Mainly print and video work, everyday use otherwise.

Also, depending on what happens with graphics card drivers, getting something like an 8800 wouldn't be bad either.

Looks generally good. The Q6600 seems to be "the" chip to get right now (regardless of whether you're looking at a Hackintosh or a regular ol' PC). Don't know how it'll compare to an Intel iMac, but I built my Hackintosh instead of upgrading my G4 (both listed in my sig). The whole build for the Hackintosh came in at right around what a decent CPU upgrade would have cost for the G4, and it absolutely screams in comparison to that old machine (or any possible upgrade that I could have gone to on the old machine). Overall, my experience with my Hackintosh has been that once it's built and going, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a "real" mac. Been using mine for daily use for months now and haven't had a single lockup or issue (after I got the initial load working right anyways). I think you'll be happy with the setup.

Thanks for this thread, it has helped me out a little bit in choosing parts. Have you tried this and has it worked for you?

The only thing different from you that I wanted was a different graphics card and motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16813128064

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814130319

Also, I wanted to put 8GB of RAM into the machine, I don't know anything about OCZ, is it a good company, does the company really matter? I was thinking about going with Corsair 4x2GB... Do hackintoshs support 8gb?

Will these components work?

*Actually heres my newegg wishlist, does everything check out alright?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishli...tTitle=pc+build