Geforce 6800GT stuck at 1024x768

Kyl3

5 posts in this topic

I read in the wiki that the 6000 Ultra could be set at 1280x1024 with a modified plist file (cant remember which one). I tried editing that file and I couldn't find how to change the resolution.

The thing is, the GT and the Ultra are the same card, just lower clock speeds. So if anyone will please tell me what to do or provide me with instrictions on how to do this, that would be appreciated.

Oh, and I also can't edit that SystemVersion.plist for Java, says I don't have permission, any ideas?

I read in the wiki that the 6000 Ultra could be set at 1280x1024 with a modified plist file (cant remember which one). I tried editing that file and I couldn't find how to change the resolution.

The thing is, the GT and the Ultra are the same card, just lower clock speeds. So if anyone will please tell me what to do or provide me with instrictions on how to do this, that would be appreciated.

Oh, and I also can't edit that SystemVersion.plist for Java, says I don't have permission, any ideas?

there are no drivers for the nVidia cards as of yet.

they should be here soon.

in the mean time, you can try 2048x1536

that's what im running at.

Here's that section of the wiki that provides the tip for editing com.apple.boot.plist to get 1280x1024:

"Tips and Tricks - Messing with the boot options"

For both com.apple.boot.plist and SystemVersion.plist to be edited by an application such as TextEdit, you first must enable root user access.

------------------------

How to enable root user access ::.

1. Open the NetInfo Manager application in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

2. Go to the Domain menu, then drag down to the Security submenu, and choose "Authenticate...". Put in an administrator login and password and press return or the "OK" button.

3. Go again to the Domain menu, again to the Security submenu, and then drag down to the "Enable Root User..." menu item.

4. You probably won't have put in a root user password yet. It will prompt you to provide a root user password and verify it. Do so.

5. Root user is now enabled. Now just logout from the Apple menu, and then at the login screen, use the login name "root" and provide the password you just set.

------------------------

Now at this point, you're logged in as a user with much higher authority than any basic users that log onto your computer. You can now edit both plists by right clicking them and opening them in TextEdit, then simply save them and you're done!

Then reboot. If all goes well, the boot-up screen should be a significantly higher resolution too.

You don't need to enable the root user at all.

In terminal type "sudo su" and give the Admin password, then edit the file with nano or pico, "pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

But you can't achieve more than 1024x768 if you have your TV out connected in your card.

I was just under the assumption that if he didn't know how to edit plists, he might not be too terminal-savvy.

Once you enable root user, it's easier to use TextEdit. Navigating through a file in terminal is horrible. At least with TextEdit, you can use the mouse and have a larger work area to see what you're doing.