Need DVD To Boot Mac?

tacostick

10 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been asked -- can't find an answer around.

So right now I have two options when starting up the computer: either boot without the install DVD and get a fun little blinking cursor ad infinitum; or, boot w/ DVD and use the old rd=disk0s1.

Question is, what if I don't have access to my install DVD sometime? I've got a useless hard drive.

Any way I can fix this without reinstalling Leopard? Maybe go into the install [iATKOS] and just do Darwin_Boot without installing the OS?

Anyone else have this problem / solutions? thanks.

Try running a GParted Live CD (linux partition utility) and check the flags on the boot drive. When I installed for some reason the installer didn't set the drive as bootable and I had to run GParted and set a boot flag. Power cycled and it was fine.

Can't use GParted or ubuntu live CD [any linux live cd, looks like] because of some bizarre Dell problem that results in it failing to boot. I do, however, have Hiren's BootCD, and tooled around in there for a while to no avail. Are you sure it's just a matter of setting the partition to bootable?

I have a similar but different problem that I have found no mention of so far in the forum.

I installed iATKOSv1.01r2 successfully. I can boot into OSX with the dvd in my IDE drive by using rd=disk0s2 (my osx partition is after my windows partition).

When I boot without the dvd I successfully arrive at the Darwin bootloader screen and I'm presented with the proper options: my OSX partition by default and my windows partition above it, unhighlighted. If I arrow up to the windows partition and select it, windows boots properly. If, however, I select the OSX partition the screen redraws itself and nothing happens. *blink* Right back to the menu. This happens regardless of any arguments passed such as -v or -x. The partition is set active, I've checked the boot flag in gparted, I've edited com.apple.Boot.plist and set a kernel flag to rd=disk0s2, etc, etc. I have found a lot of posts about people see a blinking "_", but that's not my issue at all.

Any takers?

Edit: It seems that the boot files were not transferred during installation. There is no chain0, boot, boot1, or boot1h. So I copied those files and did the whole fdisk, dd, startupfiletool thing from the install disk. There were no error messages but the problem remains the same. No result.