Full success with Asrock Conroe945-DVI

Arsenicson

4 posts in this topic

Small success report:

Ensured bios settings (these were wrong and prevented me from using vanilla kernel and kexts before)

Non executable bit (NX/XD) - ON

CPUID limit - OFF

HPET - ON

Changing these did not influence my Tiger on the same machine at all

Formatted separate empty HDD with GUID partition.

Installed EFIv8. Checked if it gives that "apple.boot.plist not found" message when attempting to boot from this HDD.

Installed from Brazilmac DVD (mounted the image) from under TIger with Pacifist as inspired by this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Applied 10.5.1 update immediately after that, again with Pacifist.

Placed dsmos.kext, AppleAzalia, natit, ApplePS2Controller, ACPIPS2Nub from Brazilmac postpatch set. Did NOT run the postpatch itself. Removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Yes, only those, I'm not missing anything here. CHMODed and CHOWNed added kexts as required.

DID NOT POSTPATCH ANYTHING. Original kernel and kexts (all but AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) were preserved, even AppleEFIRuntime.

Booted from the HDD where I've installed everything to user initialization procedure and desktop. Double monitor setup, sound, LAN working immediately. (actually had to boot twice - the first boot showed that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement has to be removed)

That's it.

System profiler showed an error message instead of general system info. Replaced original AppleSMBIOS to one from EFIv8 pack - and this was fixed. Did not notice any other problem with vanilla SMBIOS however.

Bottomline: Vanilla kernel, vanilla kexts (one removed and one replaced without any urgent need). Extra kexts added from Brazilmac postpatch set. Video with double monitors, sound (output only, as under Tiger), LAN functioning. No USB problems. Shutdown/restart work. Didn't try sleep - i never use it. Running absolutely stable for 5 days already.

Minor issues with LAN (connecting to remote shares) remain - see here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=77545&hl=

LAN adapter works however - i currently use internet through LAN modem, so there's no doubt it works.

Chipset limitations don't allow to use 4 Gb of RAM fully, and Leopard is no remedy here :( It's about chipset, not software - at least Asrock web site says it is...

I'd be glad if this helps anyone :)

Thanks a lot everybody, i've got a lot of help from people on this forum and I'm very grateful to all the insanelymac community!

@Arsenicson : i have same spec with you but i use Pentium D 820...how does you install the vanilla kernel speciall for mach_kernel....i have tried so manytime mach_kernel but didnt work...always restart when i use the vanilla kernel......can you upload the work mach_kernel (vanilla kernel)

Thanks