Anyone used an external blu-ray drive?

Suffocator

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a blu-ray drive with their mac yet? I just got a new mac mini and was looking to grab a blu-ray drive and stick it in an external case to use with the tv.

The one I am looking at is http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/detail...e_ggch20l.jhtml .

Would the mac mini have to power to playback 1080p blu-ray discs? and is it even possible?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have been looking around some more and it appears there is currently no software packages to playback blu-ray or hd-dvd for the mac. :D

I will be plugging the mac-mini into a 50" FullHD Plasma via HDMI, but it may still may fail the HDCP test due to the video card.

Looks like I will have to buy a standalone player, unless something is revealed at MacWorld...fingers crossed

Well, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you can bypass the HDCP with Anydvd (windows app, I know). But then you would have to rip the Blu-ray movies, and they're huge! The DVD Player in Mac OS X. does have HD playback ability, if you look in the options.

Here's a link I found though...Fastmac offers Blu-ray upgrade for Mac mini