isight mic not working with firewire card

DanB91

9 posts in this topic

i just bought a pci firewire card for my computer. when i plug in my isight the video plays fine but when i try to speak into the mic, no sound is being picked up. the computer reads the mic fine and the mic works on my ibook fine. plz help. i have Kalyway EFI 10.5. thanx

• 3 months later...
anyone?

I have the same problem with one of my machines. I have a P35-DS3L that just will not work with the iSight microphone and I can't figure it out. The mic works fine on my 945-GCMX machine. They both have the exact same firewire card and I even swapped them out to see if one of the cards was bad but that's not it. I wish I could find someone with an answer but I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of people building Hackintoshes that also have a real firewire iSight.

Well, I can't really tell you what I did to get mine working, but here's as much as I can tell you for sure:

I couldn't get my isight working. At all. It showed up in system profiler, but iChat would always tell me that it was in use by another app.

I've got an IP35-pro with an e8400. I wasn't really worried about getting onboard audio working as I have an external USB "sound card" (rp-u100) that I use as well as a USB mic. However, it became apparent that I was going to have to get output working to get the sound working with my kvm. (I'd switch away - effectively yanking the usb device - and then couldn't get sound working until I rebooted.) I guess because there was no sound device to switch to, it would have issues...

So, I finally found a solution that worked - and that was running AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 with the proper codec.

Once I rebooted, both video and the mic from the isight are now working in both Skype and iChat. iGlasses even works fine.

(my rp-u100 still doesn't work though it's showing up as selectable, but my usb mic does work as expected. Go figure.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have exactly the same problem here. My iSight is working on my MacMini as exspected - video and mic, but on my P35k - video is fine, iSicht mic shows in SystemPreferences, but no activity from my mic inside the Sound Preferences.

I use the onboard firewire.

Has anyone an idea what to do in order to get the iSight mic working?

Gerhold

Hello all,

I have exactly the same problem here. My iSight is working on my MacMini as exspected - video and mic, but on my P35k - video is fine, iSicht mic shows in SystemPreferences, but no activity from my mic inside the Sound Preferences.

I use the onboard firewire.

Has anyone an idea what to do in order to get the iSight mic working?

Gerhold

I finally got the iSight mic working on my P35-DS3L. I thought I'd try an NEC based card instead of this VIA card that still works on my 945-GCMX machine.

It's a PCI-E Syba 1394a card, model SD-PEX-NEC4F.(newegg)

I don't know if it's the different chipset or being PCI-E instead of PCI or whatever but I'm glad it works now.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I was having trouble mounting firewire drives with my old firewire card on the P35 and didn't have any trouble with the same card on the 945 machine. I can now also mount and use firewire drives on the new card as well as gaining full use of the iSight.

Oh, sounds good,

so I will try to use the iSight with an additional firewire card maybe it solves the problem and mic is then working as expected. I will give feedback after the try.

Gerhold

So problem solved :)

I finally got the iSight mic working on my P35-DS3L. I thought I'd try an NEC based card instead of this VIA card that still works on my 945-GCMX machine.

It's a PCI-E Syba 1394a card, model SD-PEX-NEC4F.(newegg)

I don't know if it's the different chipset or being PCI-E instead of PCI or whatever but I'm glad it works now.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I was having trouble mounting firewire drives with my old firewire card on the P35 and didn't have any trouble with the same card on the 945 machine. I can now also mount and use firewire drives on the new card as well as gaining full use of the iSight.

Thank you sleepy2, just changing the firewire card to a NEC based card (InLine: "Firewire IEEE 1394a Karte" about 7€ :help: ) and all inclusive mic is working now fine.

Gerhold

• 9 months later...
i just bought a pci firewire card for my computer. when i plug in my isight the video plays fine but when i try to speak into the mic, no sound is being picked up. the computer reads the mic fine and the mic works on my ibook fine. plz help. i have Kalyway EFI 10.5. thanx

Same here, is there a special kext for audio over firewire?