Installing Mac FROM (not TO) an External USB HDD/Flash, possible or not?

cyber_tods

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

I was wondering if it would be possible to put any image installer (toH, brazil, uphuck, kalyway, etc) to an External USB HDD drive instead of booting from the DVD itself? The reason behind this is in our house, we have 4 computers (all are capable of OSx86 Tiger/Leopard) and I only have 1 DVD drive. Everytime I install Leopard in any of those system, I have to remove my DVD drive from my system (where its installed) and put it in the other PCs (remove the case ... etc, you know the drill) and its tiring :blink:

*I'm planning to buy an enclosure soon :P .. But I need to make this work for now :(

*Flat image is out of the question because I removed Windows on all of those computers.

*What I'm asking is to install Leopard FROM (not TO) a USB drive/flash into any PC system.

Is it possible to boot off from an USB HDD/Flash I know for a fact that you can do this in Windows Vista.

Anybody can spare us a simple guide!

Thanks in advance

Tods

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. But this is not what I meant. I'm not trying to install Leo or Tiger into a USB drive, but its like the opposite of it.

I want to use my USB drive/flash as an INSTALLER of Leo :thumbsup_anim:

They usually say Leopard DVD installer right? I was hoping if it would be possible for it to be Leopard USB installer

Thank you very much!

*What I'm asking is to install Leopard FROM (not TO) a USB drive/flash into any PC system.

Yes, very possible, and a good idea if your system won't boot dvd but you know how to make your hardware work.

With my Dell E520, I copied install dvd image to usb drive, modified that image, then booted it to install.

Guide is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=510839

Hi,

Is there a way to make this work in Windows?

I heard that you should use ISO to extract the image (iso) to the external USB hdd or flash drive and make it bootable. I think what they meant is to dd and bless the external hdd after extracting this ISO. Is it true? Would it work?

Thanks