Portege R100 installation issues

xpernet

4 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I installed JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE2 on my Toshiba Portege R100. However, first time installing it the installer didnt restart so i had to do it again and update the files and that did the trick.

Problem now, is that it is booting VERY slow. I was able to enter the registration information (took me forever as well) and im still waiting for it boot into the OS to see whats going on. I tried installing Uphuck 1.4i R3 but i wasnt able to boot at all.

I didnt use VMware. I just poped in the DVD in my desktop PC and installed it on the harddrive, and transfered it to the portege since it doesnt have a CD or DVD drive.

Is there anyway to make it boot faster? I have disabled most devices and selected the appropriate patches from the installer. I do think that the USB drivers are working though, so could that be the culprit?

Thanks in Advance,

xpernet

Update: I left the laptop running overnight, and when i woke up it had already booted into Mac OS. it is still running very slow and takes alot of time to browse through menus etc... and my clock is stuck for some reason :blink: . My CPU is idling at 100% and the OS is using only 200mb from my ram out of the 512 so i dont think that the CPU is the issue here. I have searched the whole form for ways to speed the OS but i found nothing that helped.

I dont know if this has anything to do with the problem, but when booting in vebrose mode the script usually stops for a long time at "Debug driver registered: AppleUSBHCI" and then at "localhost configd[50]: No airport driver found". After the very long pause, it would continue after 10minutes or more.

Laptop is almost ready, but the speed is a serious issue :(

Appreciate any help guys,

xpernet

• 5 months later...

Hi xpernet.

I also have a Toshiba R100 that I would like to install Osx on (Preferably Leopard though).

How well do the graphics work? (I read in your post that some other things are a bit slow) so I was wondering about the graphics as I believe this laptop only has 32mb Trident graphics.

Unfortunatly I don't have a 1.8" hard drive adapter to install this using my desktop :D Does anyone know a way I can install it over the network using PXE? (I've already got a working PXE server that I use for installing other things over the network). I've been searching for ages now and can't seem to find any easy way but as I don't have a CD drive for my laptop I think this will be the only way I could do it.

Thanks.

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont mean to ressurect a dead thread

But I have had major issues with a portege r100 when the bios is set to wake on lan

like a 20 minute boot time?

Turned it off and it booted slow but normal

Note that this is with xp sp3 so this may not shed any light.

Still if you chapps have had success with installing an OSX flavour I am keen as I have a couiple of these lappies at home and would love to install OSX on one.

Can you perhaps list what you have had to do re extra drivers etc