ATI motherboard RS482 and SB 400

superstition

9 posts in this topic

I have tried and tried to get OS X to install on my system and the only version that ever did was JAS 10.4.8, and that one won't even complete an installation now. I've read the topic about the audio driver, but there are many versions of it and I'm not sure which one to use. The same thing is true for the other driver topics concerning this board. Some posts say "this is old, forget about it", such as the one concerning the ATA hard drive fix, and yet I'm not sure how to proceed. Installation is extremely slow (hours) with JAS 10.4.8 and won't boot Kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.4.10 (with AMD). I've tried every BIOS setting and scoured Google. If someone can tell me how to add an ATI compatible kext to an installation disc so I can install, that would be great. I used an injector program that was bundled with Kalyway 10.4.10 to add AMD support, but that's different from doing things completely manually. I'm also not sure which drivers to use, since there are conflicting posts like ("don't use that. it's out of date) and multiple versions with no clear guidelines.

I have a retail 10.5 DVD, so I can use that if it's possible, too. I've tried installing to the SATA drive and to the IDE drive.

I have purchased a Gigabyte P35-D3SL motherboard and CoreDuo because this one refuses to work, but I'd really like to be able to get my old system working so I can give it to my niece.

North Bridge: ATI RS482

South Bridge: ATI SB 400

Sound: Realtek ALC655

LAN: Realtek RTL8100C

Award BIOS with 4Mb Flash ROM

Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI

Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification

ECS RS482-M754 with AMD Sempron 3100+ processor (with SSE3)

1 GB DDR-400

Tsstcorp dual layer IDE DVD combo drive

Seagate 250 GB 7200 RPM IDE hard drive

Western Digital 7200 RPM 120 GB SATA drive

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I got the same southbridge, an RS480 Chipset (ATi 200m / Xpress 200) and the same processor.

Recently tried to install Zephyroth's Leopard version without any luck. It took about three hours and then stopped when it said '5 minutes remaining'.

Will try my luck with tubgirl's v10.4.10 tomorrow and then report if i succeeded.

Well, thats all up to now.. cheers

Thanks for the tip! It scares me though to wait another 3 hours to eventually find out that my PC configuration will be too low for Leopard.

I heard Tiger is running much better with AMD and are 512MB really enough for this one?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the tip! It scares me though to wait another 3 hours to eventually find out that my PC configuration will be too low for Leopard.

I heard Tiger is running much better with AMD and are 512MB really enough for this one?

Thanks.

Let me know if you're successful. I'd like to try the new Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.2

Same problem with this one, too. Im trying to integrate some drivers. If i succeed, i will report

I think those who were trying to get this motherboard working gave up a while back. I did and replaced my system with a CoreDuo and P35-DS3L. But, the system that's left over is a 64-bit Sempron with SSE-3, PCI-E, and 1 GB of DDR-400, so it's not bad. It would be a nice gift for my niece if I could get OS X working well.

Aside from the video, did you have any other problems with that Tubgirl 10.4.10? Was the hard drive speed good?