stop sign/prohibition sign when booting

Acidic

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I installed Jas Mac OS X 1.4.6 on my pc. The install all went perfectly, computer rebooted, and began to boot Tiger. After a little while a stop sign or prohibition sign popped up over the first apple boot screen with the revolving circle loading thing under the apple logo. Ive tried -v, it said over and over again toward the bottom of the list of code: Still waiting for root device. Not really sure what to do here.

Intel Celeron 340 CPU 2.93GHZ

Pretty sure my cpu is SSE3

Motherboard Phoenix Technologies PM800-8237

ATI Radeon 1600XT

thanks for the help

this is basically the screenshot of what happens

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7708/img9400do7.th.jpg

The picture seems not to be working

this is what it says exactly

From path: "uuid", Waiting for boot volume with UUID A69D14ED-6CF3-33DA-B598-799BCBB45764Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key?<string ID="1">IOResources</string?<key>IOResourceMatch</key><String ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still waiting for root device

still waiting for root device

and on and on and on and on

by the way i AM installing on a 60 gig partitioned IDE drive

Ok got a bit farther, doesnt give me that error anymore. I booted up on the tiger install disk again and installed the kernel for intel SSE3 cpus and i installed a driver supporting via/ sata something like that. It no longer gives me the stop sign, it actually loads through the white page and the spinning thing, to the mac os x starting form. There it freezes. I tried -v told me it had a link/load error with AppleHWSensor.kext. From looking at some sites I found on google, this .kext might be related to my graphics card

I might try doing this http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t19806.html

and seeing if it fixes the problem.

Or should I try and delete applehwsensor.kext?

uh no didnt work. any way to delete applehwsensor.kext kernel? I heard deleting it allows for faster startup also. Ive tried to delete it from the terminal on the install disk of tiger, but the terminal always tells me file or directory not found. I'm definately doing something wrong. Any one know how to open the terminal from the darwin bootloader? Or how to delete applehwsensor.kext?