can u make an internal HD a external with pre loaded mac os ?

urgonah8me

5 posts in this topic

Title may be abit confusing..

What i mean is, If i installed Mac OS on a hardrive which was inside my pc... and i went and bought a hdd case (usb 2.0) and put the hardrive in the case.

And then if i connected the now external hardrive to a new pc and set the bios to boot from USB would this work?

surely cant be that simple yes?

yes this will work fine. I have done this both with notebook and hdd 3.5" hdd. Also a good way to keep backups of your working OSX and fool around with the other "image". Just make sure you boot from USB in the BIOS, hit F8 in case you don't have a wait in your com.apple.Boot.plist and choose to boot from your USB drive (otherwise darwin will jump into your other bootloader that you may have on the permanent drive).

if the second pc is exactly the same as the first

yes it should

i installed my osx86 on a sata drive connected to my mac via a usb dongle (actually i cloned the macbook drive) installed efi 8 and changed the few kexts required

tested by booting off usb on the designated pc

then took off the sata->usb dongle and installed the sata drive premanently in the pc

if your new pc is different you will have to debug a few kexts to get things like network / sound to work etc

but in essence it should boot fine

AH! this is excelent news! thanks for the reply

could this mean i could possible install leopard onto a hdd with pc drivers, so it will run on my pc when i connect it as usb for external use, then also connect it to my laptop and install any laptop drivers

so i can have a portable osx and i can plug it into either laptop or pc? or would the drivers conflict?

You can install Leopard from retail to external USB disk, copy kexts/drivers required for computer that will boot from this external disk. You also have to enable owners for the external disk. First time you boot from external disk you will be asked for name, account info etc.

info: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums.../m/496008529831