The Hard Drive...SATA.

CompleteEqual1032

6 posts in this topic

Yeah so I have a copy of Mac OS X 10.4.9 the Uphuck thing.

I burned to DVD, works fine. I can boot into install screen and all. However when I try to install it on a partition and go to Disk Utitilities, I can't find my hard drive.

I currently have a Maxtor SATA II HDD, 160GB. It's all partitioned up and ready...yet the disk utitilty thing can't detect my HDD, so I can't install the OS.

I tried the same with a Mac OS X 10.4.10 as well, same thing. No diff - still no HDD detection.

Can anyone help?

PC Specs:

Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.68GHz (OC'd ever so slightly)

1.5GB RAM

IDE CD/DVD Burner

Floppy Drive

eVGA nVidia 6200LE PCI-E x16 card

Maxtor 160GB SATA II HDD

Thanks!

I burned to DVD, works fine. I can boot into install screen and all. However when I try to install it on a partition and go to Disk Utitilities, I can't find my hard drive.

I currently have a Maxtor SATA II HDD, 160GB. It's all partitioned up and ready...yet the disk utitilty thing can't detect my HDD, so I can't install the OS.

I tried the same with a Mac OS X 10.4.10 as well, same thing. No diff - still no HDD detection.

i too wanted to know about sata hdds but got no replies :blink: maybe some holy soul will reply in this thread

There have been a few tricks to try and address this:

1. Boot to your BIOS and try different Hard Disk settings. Set it to IDE and give it a try and if that doesn't work, try the other settings offered.

2. Try other Install Packages. This isn't convenient but sometimes works.

3. Install it to an IDE Drive and Clone it to your SATA disk.

4. Put it on another system and perform the Installation and then move it to yours.

I have had this issue in the past on various motherboards and was able to get things going with options 1 or 4.

@sailfish: first thank u for the reply :P

i have tiger currently installed on an ide and due to hard disk space crunch need to upgrade to sata so is there a chance that if i clone the current ide installation via the backup tool of os x it will work ?