OSX on SATA dvd drive?

sirstoner

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my Nforce 5 AMD 64 X2 system. I want to install natively since working it through VM-ware doesnt really work out for me. Getting lots of different issues after copying the VM-Ware partition to my "Real" harddisk. Usually errors like no airport driver found or whatever (while it works in VMware).

However when I try to install of the DVD I burnt on the slowest possible speed which DOES install in VMware (so the disc is fine) I get: SAM Multimedia error and then some different hex numbers eacht time.

Still waiting for root device is also quite common. I already intergrated the latest Nforce SATA Kext in the ISO I now use (JAS 10.4.8 PPF1 / PPF 2). Disk arbitration also does not seeem to be a problem since that loads just great.

Anyone who can confirm whether or not it is possible to install Mac Os X Natively of a SATA DVD drive... I'm not at home right now so I can't give the model DVD drive but if its important obviously i'll come back to that later.

Thanks guys

If its a desktop PC here is what you should do.

1)Set ur DVD Drive as primary master

2)Set ur Hard Disk as primary slave

This will solve the still waiting for the root device problem

I hope you know the remaining steps

It's probably not the DVD drive's fault, as far as I know - my LG SATA drive works perfectly. However, I'm using 10.4.10 and an ATi 580X Crossfire-based board. If you have a secondary SATA controller on your board (there'll be a single SATA port up above the slots, away from the other 4 or 6) move the drive to that. If I remember correctly the nForce 5 chipsets aren't particularly well-supported. You may even want to use the Tubgirl 10.4.10 release, if that's an option; that solved many of the problems I was having with the JaS 10.4.8 release.

Ionatus thanks :) I'm buying DVD's now and trying to get the releases you mention. Too bad you can only find them as torrents and not that easily on usenet since thats a lot faster to download usually :)

I don't have any other Sata controllers than my Nforce5 unfortunately... but I'll figure something out... I might have an old PATA drive laying around for worst case scenario's :censored2: Also there was a new release of AppleNForceATA.kext 25-12-07 which I can inject into tub's 10.4.10 iso :) That at least supports my HDD's (Sata I and II) properly using vmware to native (disk arbitration works, hangs with other errors related to network but its 10.4.4)