Really quick and simple installation guide

wigworm

6 posts in this topic

I'm a total noob. But I managed to get both Tiger and Leopard running on two different systems. My theory: The easiest way is often the best way.

Simple steps below for those who are still having trouble:

I used a separate hard drive for Leopard as I found that using the same physical drive with window spell unwanted complexity and trouble. Remember my philosophy: simplicity!

1. Download and burn iATKOS (This is the one I used). Burn it in slowest speed to ensure success.

2. Partition your hard drive to FAT32 (in one big primary partition) using either Partition magic OR Acronis OR gparted live CD. I used gparted live cd but it really really doesn't matter. Again, simplicity! Don't ever buy into complicated or excessive terminal commands.

3. Unplug all other hard drive from your PC, and connect only the CD ROM and the newly partitioned hard drive which you intend to install Leopard on.

4. Pop in the iATKOS DVD you just burned and let installation start. (What you can do here is if your hard drive is a SATA disk, set it to ACHI mode. Again, it really really doesn't matter unlike other people have said here. Setting it to ACHI mode only makes the installation goes a little bit faster, like 2 minutes faster. So what? Again, Simplicity is the rule!

5. Once you are boot into installation screen, go to disk utility to format your disk to MAC OS extended Journaled format.

6. Go back to installation main screen and install Darwin Boot loader from the tool section. Here, you can choose if you want to install EFI emulation or not. (again, really doesn't matter. Either way it will work) Simplicity is the word!

7. Once you've installed Darwin Boot loader successfully (keyword is successfully. If you see any error message, you failed to install it and it won't boot. Make sure you give it correct partition number and disk number), you may continue installation.

8. Choose nothing else in the customization screen except the main installation. If you have a duo core intel CPU, you may choose stock kernel. Again, it really really doesn't matter. Simplicity is the word! Again, choose no driver at all and no patch at all. SIMPLICITY!!! (The basic idea is: you need to get it to boot. Then you may go in and install driver AFTER you successfully boot up Leopard! Many people failed at this point because they want this driver and that driver. In the end, they got a grey apple screen!)

9. Installation should be done in 10 minutes. And then it will reboot. Take the DVD out! And reboot! If it gives you a partition error at this stage, you need to flag your disk as bootable! Search this forum for a quick and simple terminal command: something like flag -u /dev/disk0s1 if your disk is the first drive (or primary master) I could be wrong, double check the syntax yourself.

10. Now reboot and it should boot up now.

Simple as that. The mother board I have is Gigabyte P35-DS3L. It is a very common board. Now, you can search this forum for video card driver, sound card driver and LAN card driver. All problem can be easily solved.

Now you can hook up your XP and or Vista disk and you may want to change the boot sequence to boot window drive first. I didn't bother with dual boot or triple boot solution. I simple go into Bios boot selection and manually boot Leopard. You can also use Acronis OS Selector. Again, dual boot or triple boot is purely cosmetic fix. It's a nice option to have.

I may have left out some stuff. The basic idea is that simpler is better. If you have a specific question, please post here. Again, I'm a noob but I got everything working: Video (full resolution, CI/QE,mirror,dual display, LAN, audio and Xbench score 157 GeekBench 4778). Test photoshop/Corel painter with Bamboo penpad, iLife and iWork all tested. I refuse to make things complicated. I use simple plist editing using plistedit pro. Very simple tool. Rudimentary Unix terminal skill is a welcome plus, as long as you can do simple cd, ls, rm, rm -r .... command. But you don't have to know any UNIX command at all!

Here's my spec:

Intel Quad Core Q6600

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

2GB 1066 DDR2 memory

Onboard LAN, onboard audio (2 Channel out, 1 channel in from back, 1 out 1 in from front, digital out and in from back)

Hitachi 320 GB SATA II drive

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB video card

That's it.

this isnt a problem with ur tutorial, but whenever i try to boot the iatkos disk my computer resets right as it gets to the white mac screen. Any help ?

this isnt a problem with ur tutorial, but whenever i try to boot the iatkos disk my computer resets right as it gets to the white mac screen. Any help ?

Does your board have any IDE port? It may seem like a dumb idea, but try to get a IDE DVD drive and install it with that. I'm not familar with SATA DVD drive. Is there a way to set it to operate in IDE mode? The point I'm trying to get at is that maybe it's the SATA DVD that's giving you the trouble, aside from the unlikely odds of a badly burnt DVD.

Also, like the other guy suggested, boot it in verbose mode. Basically F8 and -v and hit enter. It should show you where it stalled.