Error: "Still waiting for Root Device"

Wayfarer247

15 posts in this topic

So, I have been reading the blog for ages on the home page, and I keep getting more and more into OSX86. I have successfully installed OS X Tiger onto a Virtual Computer, and had fun playing around with that, but I want more. So, I tried installing it onto my HD, and it gave me this error:

"Still waiting for root Device"

That is what I got by typing "-v" during boot up. So I gave up, and went on.

I recently acquired iATKOS Leopard version of OSX86, and I'm at it again. However, I tried installing it onto my compiter, and it didn't go any farther than the Apple Logo gray screen. So, I tried it in "-v" mode, and guess what.

"Still waiting for root device"

It won't go any further. I have looked into the matter, but I haven't been able to fully figure out what I can do in order to correct this. So could somebody with more intelligence on the matter please explain to me what the above error means, and of equal importance, how I can fix it. Thank you!

Gotcha. From what I understand, it means your HD is incompatable, such as a SATA Hard Drive? Could is also mean that something else is incompatible, or messing it up, or is definitely the HD?

Can you install OS X on a External HD connected by a USB port?

It could be a hardware problem, but from what I've read, it's usually a hard drive.

With my problem, I have a DVD drive and hard drive both on on a single IDE cable. People have been able to install Leopard using SATA by changing settings in the BIOS.

You could probably fix it by using the hard drive in an enclosure, that's that I'm going to try at least.

I've gotten that error randomly durring my many attempts at installing. For me it was intermittent, sometimes I would get that error, then just turn the computer all the way off, then boot the DVD again doing nothing different but somehow it would get beyond that. Try just cold-booting, you might have to do it several times. To me it seems like it checks the HD at that point and if the HD didn't properly spin up in time when it got to that point it gets stuck.

Right, okay, I agree.

So basically, my HD is in SATA, and there are ways to switch it over to IDE mode, but in all actuallity, it will probably end up in my current OS's dying. Peachy.

With those people out there with more experience, is there another way to go about this, besides changing the HD?

Right, okay, I agree.

So basically, my HD is in SATA, and there are ways to switch it over to IDE mode, but in all actuallity, it will probably end up in my current OS's dying. Peachy.

With those people out there with more experience, is there another way to go about this, besides changing the HD?

If you have 2 hard drives, you can install a flat image or "DD" as I've read, from the drive with Windows on to the new blank drive without needing to use the install DVD.

This is the method I'm attempting tomorrow.

I do have two HD's and a Third External HD. Both are being used, but I could move stuff around and F**** up my computer for a few days if it meant that I could get OS X to work. Could you point me to the info you have read about Installing a Flat Image?

Also, if possible, tell me how your attempt goes tomorrow, I'm curious.

Hi everyone, I had the same problem moving my sata hd to another machine. Solved it by booting with toh dvd (cpus=1 idlehalt=0 platform=X86PC -v -x), going to terminal and writing /usr/misc/script.sh MacOSX where MacOSX is the name of my hd. You have to change it with the name of your hd. My systems are 10.5.1 toh kernel vanilla efi v8.0 MB asus P5W DH DELUXE 3GB ram Nvidia 8600GT with 10.5.2 kexts. Hope this helps. Max

Hi everyone, I had the same problem moving my sata hd to another machine. Solved it by booting with toh dvd (cpus=1 idlehalt=0 platform=X86PC -v -x), going to terminal and writing /usr/misc/script.sh MacOSX where MacOSX is the name of my hd. You have to change it with the name of your hd. My systems are 10.5.1 toh kernel vanilla efi v8.0 MB asus P5W DH DELUXE 3GB ram Nvidia 8600GT with 10.5.2 kexts. Hope this helps. Max

Didn't help me...

please, put your spec in your sig..... it's more easy to help you... :P;) ;)

i suppose you have a p35 chipset with ich9... :(

you must install from an external (usb) drive... :D

those pata connectors, are connected to a Jmicron, that is not recognised by the dvd installer... :(

hope this will help you...

please, put your spec in your sig..... it's more easy to help you... :|:P:P

i suppose you have a p35 chipset with ich9... :(

you must install from an external (usb) drive... :P

those pata connectors, are connected to a Jmicron, that is not recognised by the dvd installer... :)

hope this will help you...

Can we use a USB hard drive? Because enclosures are cheaper than external DVD drives...

I got axactly the same sympthon with my Dell Demension 520.

But now i finished installed last night after sacrificed by new year sleep.

Here what I do.

- Disable the any raid feature in the bios.

- My hd only working if i connect to Sata 1 and Sata 2 port only. If i put on Sata 3,

it wont find my hd

++ hope this help a little bit ... icon1.gif